Behavior Intervention Team
The Gallaudet University Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) promotes a healthy and safe environment by facilitating collaboration across campus units to support students in distress. The team assesses reports of concerning behavior to determine appropriate intervention to address the physical and social welfare of all students, faculty, and staff. BIT centralizes incident information to identify patterns of concerning behavior and coordinate early intervention.
The team does not replace disciplinary processes, classroom management, other programs and services, and/or public safety response to incidents. BIT works within all current university policies and coordinates university resources to help students achieve success.
BIT is not an emergency response team. If you are experiencing an emergency or critical incident contact the Department of Public Safety.
Emergency Lines-Communication Center
Hours of Operation 24 hours each day, 7 days per week
(202) 651-5555 (voice/videophone)
(202) 651-5444 (tty)
The Behavioral Intervention Team is composed of representatives from critical areas of the campus community and includes:
- Dean, Student Affairs and Academic Support (Chair)
- Associate Dean, Student Center Programs & Services
- Director, Counseling and Psychological Services
- Director, Department of Public Safety
- Director, Academic Advising
- Director, Residence Life & Housing
- Faculty Representative
Additional members from the campus and community are included in meetings of the BIT as necessary.
What to Report
In general, any behavior that causes concern for a student's safety or well-being should be reported.
How to Report
Follow the link below to share your concerns.
BIT Report Form
What Happens to a Behavioral Report Form
Once a report is submitted:
· The report immediately enters secure database
· Automated notification is sent to BIT members
· Report is reviewed by BIT members
· Reporter may be contacted for further information if needed
· BIT assesses and determines further action