Gallaudet Mission and Vision Statement
Gallaudet University, federally chartered in 1864, is a bilingual, diverse, multicultural institution of higher education that ensures the intellectual and professional advancement of deaf and hard of hearing individuals through American Sign Language and English. Gallaudet maintains a proud tradition of research and scholarly activity and prepares its graduates for career opportunities in a highly competitive, technological, and rapidly changing world.
Approved by the Board of Trustees - November 2007
Gallaudet University will build upon its rich history as the world's premier higher education institution serving deaf and hard of hearing people to become the university of first choice for the most qualified, diverse group of deaf and hard of hearing students in the world, as well as hearing students pursuing careers related to deaf and hard of hearing people. Gallaudet will empower its graduates with the knowledge and practical skills vital to achieving personal and professional success in the changing local and global communities in which they live and work. Gallaudet will also strive to become the leading international resource for research, innovation and outreach related to deaf and hard of hearing people.
Gallaudet will achieve these outcomes through:
• A bilingual learning environment, featuring American Sign Language and English, that provides full access for all students to learning and communication
• A commitment to excellence in learning and student service
• A world-class campus in the nation's capital
• Creation of a virtual campus that expands Gallaudet's reach to a broader audience of visual learners
• An environment in which research can grow, develop, and improve the lives and knowledge of all deaf and hard of hearing people worldwide.
Approved by the Board of Trustees - May 2009