Application Checklist for Deaf or Hard of Hearing International Applicants

Applications received without all of the following items below will not be processed until this office receives all of your application items.

  1. Complete and sign your portion of the online international application.
  2. Submit non-refundable US$50 application fee online.
  3. Two (2) written essays
  4. High School transcript (Secondary school transcript and/or upper secondary school transcript) or University Transcript(s) for Transfer Applicant only. Transfer students must send your official transcript(s) along with a copy of the college catalog(s). Your transcripts will be reviewed, and you will be notified if any tests are necessary. If you do not submit your transcript, you will be required to submit SAT or ACT test scores. NOTE: Transcript(s) must be translated by a certified translator.
  5. Two recommendation letters from your academic teacher or counselor.
  6. Standardized Test Report - choose one of the following tests:
    • American College Test (ACT): Gallaudet University's Institutional Code is 0662. Website:
    • SAT; Gallaudet University's Institutional Code is 5240. Website: or
    • For students who do not live near an ACT or SAT testing center: Ask your school administrator to verify that there are no testing centers nearby and that you will need to take the Stanford test. The school administrator can email the letter to the International Admissions Counselor at for the test authorization and order form.
    • After we receive the letter and form from your school administrator, the Stanford test will be mailed to your school.
  7. Audiogram (must be completed by a physician or an audiologist).
  8. Photocopy of current passport, showing the cover page and the identification pages.
  9. Provide evidence of financial support with financial support documents. If you are a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder), you do not need to fill out the Certificate of Finances and Sponsor's Affidavit forms. Instead, make a photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card and send it or fax to the Office of Admissions at (202)651-5744, c/o International Admissions Counselor.

Please keep copies of your application form, documents, and essays for your records.