All new full-time and part-time students are required to complete a health history form. Student Health Service (SHS) requires the original health history form to be mailed but we will accept fax copies until the original arrives at SHS. Students will be unable to register for classes until proof of immunizations are submitted to SHS. The District of Columbia law requires that all full-time and part-time students under the age of 26 have the required immunizations.
Students, who already have all their immunizations required by Gallaudet, can expedient the process by just dropping off the immunization sheet (last page, page 6) at the doctor's office to have it completed, signed and mailed. If, however, there's uncertainty about complete records, the student should call the doctor's office to inquire about any missing immunization shots and to schedule an appointment to get these immunizations and an optional physical exam.
Immunizations requirements under the age of 26:
- Two vaccinations against measles, mumps, and rubella, given after the age of one and at least 30 days apart
- One tetanus/diphtheria booster given within the preceding ten years
- Vaccination against varicella (chickenpox) or documented history of having varicella. If you do not have a history of varicella, then two vaccinations are required at age 12 or older
- Tuberculosis (TB) test within the past 12 months. If the results are positive, a chest x-ray will be required
- Vaccination against Polio (required under 18 years of age)
- Vaccination against Hepatitis B
- Vaccination for Meningococcal (meningitis)
Immunizations requirements at age 26 and older:
- Tuberculosis (TB) test within the past 12 months
- Tetanus inoculation within the past 10 years
Health Service Fee
The University charges a mandatory health service fee of $50 per semester for all full-time students. The health service fee is not for insurance. The fee allows the student to be seen at SHS for an unlimited number of office visits.
Health Insurance, Health Insurance Waiver and Waiver Process
For information about health insurance and health insurance waiver, go to the Paying for Gallaudet section.
If you have questions or concerns, email email@example.com or call 202-651-5090 (tty/voice).