French Abroad Program
Study Abroad French Sign Language Program
Are you interested in visiting the Eiffel Tower, the Sacre Coeur, and many other famous places in Paris, France? The Department of Foreign Languages at Gallaudet University offers Gallaudet students the opportunity to enroll in a course named “French Studies” that involves intensive exposure to French language and culture and serves as an orientation to a summer study abroad program in Paris.
Study Abroad Program duration and timeline:
This is a four-week program that typically runs between May and June.
Study Abroad Program components:
1) Daily LSF (French Sign Language) instruction from qualified Deaf French Sign Language teachers
2) Cultural and artistic tours both within Paris and in other cities and towns in France
3) Social interactions with the local Deaf community for a true immersion experience
1) You need to take a minimum of one semester of French before you go to Spain.
2) In the fall semester, previous to the program, you need to fill out an application.
3) In the spring semester, previous to your departure, you need to sign up for the orientation course “French Studies” with the rest of your fellow travelers.
You will get a total of five Gallaudet credits. This includes the four-week intensive study abroad program and the one-hour-a-week orientation course in the spring.
For more information about specific dates, application procedure, and financial help, please contact the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures:
Hall Memorial Building (HMB) S233
LSF Study Abroad Program Director:
Mark Weinberg (Mark.Weinberg@gallaudet.edu)