Spanish Abroad Program
Study Abroad Spanish Sign Language Program
Are you interested in other languages and cultures and in meeting Deaf people from around the world? The Department of Foreign Languages at Gallaudet University offers Gallaudet students the opportunity to learn the Sign Language of Spain right in Madrid, the capital of Spain.
Program duration and timeline:
This is a four-week program that typically runs between May and June.
1) Daily LSE (Spanish Sign Language) instruction from qualified Deaf Spanish Sign Language teachers
2) Daily drama workshop taught by actors from a renown Deaf theater company from Spain named “El Grito”
3) Service-learning activities with the local Deaf community
4) Cultural and artistic tours
5) Social interactions with the local Deaf community for a true immersion experience
1) You need to take a minimum of one semester of Spanish before you go to Spain.
2) In the fall semester, previous to the program, you need to fill out an application.
3) In the spring semester, previous to your departure, you need to sign up for an orientation course, “Spanish Studies”, with the rest of your fellow travelers
You will get a total of five Gallaudet credits. This includes the four-week intensive study abroad program and the one-hour-a-week orientation course in the spring.
For more information about specific dates, application procedure, and financial help, please contact the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures:
Hall Memorial Building (HMB) S233
LSE Study Abroad Program director:
Prof. Pilar Piñar (Pilar.Pinar@gallaudet.edu)