Q: What are the responsibilities of Academic Advisor?

A:  Academic Advisor's responsibilities are:

  • Academic Tracking
  • Career Exploration
  • Course Selections
  • Four Year Plan (GSR and Major Requirements)
  • Major Interests/Declaration
  • Referrals

Q: Am I required to have an Academic Advisor?

A: Yes, you are required to have an Academic Advisor.

Q: Do I still have the same academic advisor after declaring my major?

A: No, you will be transferred to your new faculty advisor within your major department.

Q: Can I change or request for another academic advisor if I am not getting along with him/her?

A: Yes, you can but we advise you to discuss concerns with your Academic Advisor first. If concerns are not resolved, you can follow up with your Academic Advisor's supervisor.

Q: Will my Academic Advisor tell my parents without my permission about my two failing grades?

A: No, Academic Advising is under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Q: How can I find my advisor on Bison?


  • Log in bison.gallaudet.edu.
  • Click on Self-Service.
  • Click on Student Center.
  • You will see the name of your Academic Advisor on lower right.

Q: What is Academic Warning?

A: The policy only apply to freshman, who have Grade Point Average (GPA) between 1.75 to 1.99. If you have that GPA, you will automatically receive Academic Warning. Academic Warning only can happen once, and Academic Probation apply to freshman again. Freshman who have GPA below 1.75, automatically will receive Academic Probation. Academic Probation also apply to the upperclassmen, who have GPA below 1.99.

Q: How and when can I add/drop classes? What is the procedure?

A: You will be charged $5 for each transaction you add and drop during the Add/Drop Week which occurs only during the first week of the semester. However, you are able to add/drop courses at no charge before the semester begins.

Q: What do I do if I am having problems with my course and/or with my professor?

A:  We encourage you to talk with your professor first. If you need further guidance, you can see your Academic Advisor.

Q: Is there a limit as to how many classes I take each semester?

A: We do not look at the number of courses, but we do focus on the number of credits. In order to be a full-time student, you must have between 12 and 19 credits per semester.

Q: What is the difference between co-requisites and pre-requisites?

A: Pre-requisites means that you are required to take a pre-requisite course first before taking the next level course. For example, you need to complete GSR 101 and GSR 102 before taking GSR 150. Co-requisites allows you to take a co-requisite course if you are taking the pre-requisite course at the same time. For example, you can be enrolled in EDU 323 as long as you are taking EDU 311 concurrently.

Q: Can I take courses out of sequence if they are not available, but yet the other one fits my schedule?

A: It depends on various courses. For example, you can take HIS 112 before HIS 111, but with other courses you need to follow course sequences such as ACC 201 which needs to be completed before ACC 202.

Q: What is the Dean's List and how do I know if I qualify?

A: The purpose of Dean's List is to recognize your excellent academic performance at the end of the semester. You must have earned at least 12 degree credit hours and did not receive a failing or incomplete grade in any course taken in that semester to be eligible for the Dean's List.

For freshman and sophomore class standing, you need to get 3.25 GPA or above to qualify for Dean's List.

For junior and senior class standing, you must have 3.5 GPA or above to qualify for Dean's List.

Q: What is President Scholar?

A: The purpose of President's Scholars is to recognize your excellent academic performance at the end of the semester as well as at the time of graduation. To qualify, you would need to have earned at least 15 degree credits and qualifying GPA at Gallaudet to be recognized as a President's Scholar.

Summa Cum Laude - GPA between 3.8 and 4.0

Magna Cum Laude - GPA between 3.6 and 3.79

Cum Laude - GPA between 3.4 and 3.59

Q: What are General Studies Requirements (GSR)?

A: General Studies Requirements has four components which are Freshman Foundation, Career Development, Integrated Courses and Capstone Experience which comprises 37 credits.

Freshman Foundation: GSR 101, 102, 103, and 104

Career Development: GSR 110

Integrated Courses: GSR 150, 210, 220, 230, and 240

Capstone Experience: GSR 300

Q: When can I start taking major courses?

A: You can start right away, but you may need to complete all pre-major courses in some majors before you can take major courses in your intended major. You can check for more information on Gallaudet's Undergraduate Catalog online.

Q: How can I declare my major?


  • You will need to meet with your Academic Advisor to review the major requirements.
  • You will need to schedule an appointment with the Academic Department Chair or Program Coordinator to discuss and review major r       requirements.
  • When you are accepted into the major department, the Academic Department Chair/Program Coordinator and a new Major Advisor will sign a major declaration form.
  • During the exit interview with your Academic Advisor, your Degree Audit Report will be reviewed and the major declaration form will be signed.
  • The Academic Advising Office will submit the form to the Registrar's Office for processing.
  • When the process is completed, you will be notified when you are officially a major in the major department.

Q: How do I go about pursuing a major that is not offered here at Gallaudet?

A: You and your Academic Advisor will discuss your major interests and identify a major that Gallaudet offers that may be a good fit for you. However, if there are no majors you are interested in, you may want to consider the Self-Directed Major (SDM) program that is offered at Gallaudet. You will be required to submit an essay and a proposed course plan which needs to be approved by the Self-Directed Major Committee.

Q: How can I add classes in my shopping cart?

A: There are several ways to add classes to your Shopping Cart, however we recommend these steps:

  • Go to Bison (bison.gallaudet.edu).
  • Click on Self-Service.
  • Click on Student Center.
  • Look for and click on enrollment shopping cart under your class schedule.
  • Pick the term you wish to add your new classes in.
  • Click on "My Planner" or "Class Search."
  • Click on classes you want then it will show up in your shopping cart.

Q: What is a four year planner?

A: A Four Year Plan is a list of your course requirements for your General Studies including your major course requirements which demonstrates your Four Year Plan. It is a tool designed to help you monitor your progress to ensure you are on track for graduation. You can develop a Four Year Plan in Bison. If you need assistance with developing your Four Year Plan, please see your Academic Advisor.

Q: What should I do if a class is full?

A: You could request overloading permission in a full class, however, there is no guarantee that the overloading permission will be approved. You can try by emailing the professor for overloading permission into the course. Another way is obtaining a Change Slip form which you can pick up at the Academic Advising Office. You will need to obtain a signature from the professor for the course you want to be enrolled in. If approved, see your Academic Advisor for their signature.