Professor Emeritus Recognition
Each year, the university confers the title "Emeritus" on qualified faculty who have been selected by the faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees and approved by the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees. President Cordano announced that the following individuals had been awarded Professor Emeritae status and were formally recognized during Gallaudet's 148th Annual Commencement on May 11, 2018.
- Dr. Joseph G. Kinner, Department of History, Philosophy, Religion, and Sociology
- Dr. Donna Ryan, (posthumous), Department of History, Philosophy, Religion, and Sociology
- Dr. Mark Weinberg, Department of World Languages and Cultures
Each nominee for emeritus status must have 15 or more years of distinguished service as a faculty member, and must have retired within the last ten years. Faculty members who have announced their plans to retire before or during the 2018-2019 academic year may be nominated this year.
Supporting material for each nomination must include:
- a completed nomination form for 2020,
- supporting letter from the nominee's department as a whole, describing why the nominee should be awarded Professor Emeritus status,
- documented evidence of achievements and his/her impact on students, colleagues, and deaf and hard of hearing people generally, and
- curriculum vitae, or information that would ordinarily be included in a curriculum vitae.
Additional letters of support from individual department members, from faculty in other departments, from other members of the university community, or from people outside the university are welcome.
The deadline for receipt of nominations for 2019 was Tuesday, October 31, 2017. Nominations for 2020 are being accepted, with a deadline date of Wednesday, October 31, 2018
Please email the Office of the Provost, or call 202-250-2071 videophone.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.