U.S. Graduate Student Admission Requirements
Application Requirements for U.S. Degree-Seeking Students
- A completed Graduate School Application Form, including payment of the $75 non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work, to be sent by the college or university directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions. An applicant whose bachelor's degree is not completed at the time of application must submit an official transcript showing the work completed through the most recent semester. If offered admission, the applicant must submit an official transcript showing completion of the degree prior to enrollment.
- All students under the age of 26 at Gallaudet University are required to submit proof of immunizations as required by the District of Columbia. Students will not be permitted to register for classes without the required immunizations. Additionally, all full time students are required to have health insurance that provides coverage in the District of Columbia metro area. Students must either waive or purchase Gallaudet's health insurance online through their student account. For more information concerning requirements for immunization and how to waive or purchase Gallaudet's health insurance, please visit the Student Health Services website.
- At least a B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average (GPA) in undergraduate and previous graduate work. (Occasionally, applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 may be admitted conditionally upon the recommendation of the department. Most such students will be admitted on the condition that they achieve and maintain an appropriate level of performance in their first year of graduate study).
- Official copies of scores indicating satisfactory performance on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or the National Teachers Examination (NTE) (if applicable). Some programs do not require standardized tests; others accept only particular examinations. Please check the requirements of the program to which you are applying. GRE or MAT scores more than five years old are not acceptable.
- The requirements for references vary by graduate program. Most require three letters of recommendation. Please check the application requirements of the program to which you are applying regarding letters of recommendation.
- Applicant interviews and/or attendance at a Graduate School open house are highly desirable. Some academic programs require interviews.
- Several programs have other specific admission requirements. Refer to the application form or program descriptions, or contact the department for details.
Most programs use a wide range of materials and information in making admission recommendations. Performance in any one area, while important, is usually not the sole determining factor.
Where do I get more information about standardized tests?