Office of Academic Quality established an interdisciplinary Assessment Council, which is composed of designated Assessment Coordinators from each academic department and service program. This position is considered a vital function within departments/programs.
Assessment Council convenes one to two times each semester to conduct a peer review of the learning assessment reports submitted by academic departments and service programs. The coordinators work in teams to analyze the assessment reports, provide feedback by completing the OAQ's learning assessment report rubric, and participate in an inquiry of the reports and their assessment work.
The coordinators also meet to discuss assessment-specific issues, share ideas and strategies, assist one another in the development, coordination, and successful application of departmental assessments of student learning. Best practices are usually identified and made available to the coordinators for their own assessment work.
To support and strengthen the assessment process, this Assessment Handbook contains information on the assessment of student learning at Gallaudet University and is for the department chairs, program directors, and program/unit assessment coordinators. Included in this handbook are expectations, guides, examples, explanations, and resources for developing, planning and reporting on assessment.
Role of Assessment Coordinators
Assessment Coordinators provide leadership and support in the assessment of student learning and the use of learning assessment data for program improvement in their unit. To do so, the Assessment Coordinator:
- Develops and updates (in conjunction with Department Chair/Unit head, and faculty/ staff) the unit's plan for using program-level student learning assessment to improve the program by:
- Engaging unit colleagues in shared conversations about student learning and assessment, and the use of assessment data for program improvement.
- Leading the development and periodic review of unit outcomes.
- Leading the development and periodic review of unit curriculum and assessment activities matrices.
- Leading the development and implementation of direct and indirect assessment methods appropriate for the unit.
- Leading the collection of data about the program and student learning.
- Working with other faculty and staff to close the loop between what is found in the data and improving student learning.
- Provides annual updates of progress and/or achievements (Learning Assessment Update) to the Senate curriculum councils, Dean, Provost and Office of Academic Quality.
- Participates as a member of the Assessment Council (AC). Activities include:
- Functioning as a peer professional development group member with other Assessment Coordinators;
- Reviewing and providing feedback on annual Learning Assessment Updates.
- Functions as unit specialist in learning assessment by through professional development and use of resources.
- Keeps the unit informed about Gallaudet University's institutional requirements regarding learning assessment.
Council's Membership Roster: AY 2015-2016 (as of Fall 2015)
College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
|ASL, BA||Wanda Riddle|
|ASL, MA||Raychelle Harris|
|Deaf Studies, BA||Arlene B. Kelly*|
|Deaf Studies, MA||VACANT|
|Information Technology||Raja Kushalnagar|
|International Studies (WLC)||Roberto Sanchez*|
|Linguistics, MA||Deb Chen Pichler (Sabbatical Leave)|
|Linguistics, PhD||Deb Chen Pichler (Sabbatical Leave)|
|Psychology, BA||Daniel Koo|
|Psychology - School Psy||Tania Thomas-Presswood*|
|Psychology - Clinical*||Carolyn Corbett*|
|Spanish (WLC)||Pilar Pinar*|
School of Education, Business, and Human Services (SEBHS)
|Business (Accounting)||Qi Wang|
|Business (Bus Adm)||Qi Wang|
|Education, BA||Julie Mitchiner|
|Education, MA||Julie Mitchiner|
|Education, PhD||Julie Mitchiner|
|Counseling, MHC||Danielle Thompson-Ochoa|
|HSLS: SLP, MA||Brenda Seal|
|HSLS: PhD||Dragana Barac-Cikoja|
|HSLS: AuD||Chizuko Tamaki|
|Interpretation and Translation, BA||Keith Cagle*|
|Interpretation and Translation, MA||Danielle Hunt|
|Interpretation and Translation, PhD||Danielle Hunt|
|International Dvlp, MA||Audrey Cooper|
|Public Affairs, MPA||Marlon Kuntze|
|Social Work, BA||David Barclay*|
|Social Work, MA||Teresa Crowe*|
|Academic Advising||Cheryl Murgel|
|Alcohol and Other Drugs Programs||Christine Gannon*|
|Campus Activities||Mary Keane*/Eyob Zerayesus|
|Career Center||Anjali Desai-Margolin|
|Commuter Programs||Mary Keane*|
|Health and Wellness Programs||Christine Gannon*|
|Mental Health Center||William Kachman|
|New Student Orientation||Mary Keane*|
|Office of Student Conduct||Eloise Molock*|
|Office for Students with Disabilities||Karen Terhune|
|Residence Life and Housing||Laura Lopez|
|Student Success||Darian Burwell*|
|Tutorial and Instructional Programs||Rhonda Madden|
|Library||Sarah Hamick and Elizabeth Henry|
*also the program director or department chair
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.