Vision, Mission, and Goals
Assessment at Gallaudet is being developed as a critical inquiry into student learning (Maki, 2004). The Gallaudet University community recognizes the need to adopt an assessment process that advances evidence-based decisions about teaching, learning, bilingualism, diversity, campus life, academic support and administrative services. Fostered by intellectual curiosity and a concern for student academic growth and personal development, the assessment process at Gallaudet University aspires to continuously reflect on student achievement of learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness and use assessment data to increase student learning.
The mission of the Office of Assessment at Gallaudet University is to lead university efforts in the use of the assessment process as a mechanism for creating lifelong learners. The Office of Assessment serves all who serve Gallaudet students in this multicultural, bilingual academic environment. It provides the conceptual framework for assessment, monitors assessment processes, and guides the University in the use of data to maintain a culture of academic rigor and excellence.
- Promote a culture of critical inquiry and evidence-based decision making.
- Engage students, faculty, staff and administrators in conversations about learning inside and outside the classroom.
- Provide leadership and coordination in assessment.
- Ensure excellence in academic instruction, student academic support, student development and student services.
- Coordinate the collection, analysis, sharing and use of assessment data.
- Produce evidence of student learning outcomes necessary for accrediting agencies.
- Monitor equity in access to the curriculum for all Gallaudet students.
- Bring best practices and methods of assessment to the Gallaudet community.
- Offer professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.