Program Accreditation and Approval
Program accreditation, approval, and recognition are high-profile issues these days, but the different categories can often be confusing. On this page, you'll find two separate charts to differentiate between the types of review: accreditation, licensing, and national recognition/approval.
- Gallaudet University Accreditation chart
For accredited programs we have also indicated if the accrediting agency is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- Programs Recognized by Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs) chart
National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education's (NCATE) accreditation process has two components: Unit* review and a separate Program** review. The Unit is reviewed against the six NCATE unit standards by an NCATE team during a site visit. The Programs are reviewed by the specialized professional associations (SPAs) against the standards developed by the SPA. The SPA review and decision is included as exhibits for the NCATE unit review. This chart shows the Gallaudet University programs reviewed by SPAs.
- Programs Approved for Licensing by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE)
Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) partners with and follows NCATE standards for our professional education programs*** in their review and approval of programs for a state license to work in schools (see SPA chart from above).
Additional Accreditation and Approval Information
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- MSCHE Accreditation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Students completing one of the D.C. state-approved license programs may also want to see our State Licensure page
Gallaudet University is approved to operate in most U.S. states, either through licensure, registration, general or specific approvals, consent or exemption. Specific approval-related statements that are required by some states are as follows:
|Indiana||This institution is authorized by:
The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education
101 W. Ohio St., Suite 670
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984
|Maryland||Registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission|
|Minnesota||Gallaudet University is registered as a Private Institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.|
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Gallaudet University Professional Education NCATE Home
* The unit consists of the Department of Education, plus any other entities on campus that prepares other school personnel to work in schools (Departments of Psychology, Social Work, and Counseling).
**A Program is a discipline-specific component within the unit that offers courses and experiences that often lead to a recommendation for a state license to work in schools.
***All the Professional Education Programs are considered a single entity by NCATE. The NCATE unit at Gallaudet is referred to as the PEP unit.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.