2.21 Use of Facilities by Outside Organizations
11 May 2006
Executive Director, Business & Support Services
This policy applies to all offices and divisions of Gallaudet University and to all outside organizations requesting use of Gallaudet University facilities and grounds. (This policy does not apply to the Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University.)
Gallaudet University reserves the use of its facilities to support the academic, research, and advocacy missions of the institution. However, outside organizations may be permitted to utilize campus facilities, on a fee basis, when such use does not interfere with the University's programs, services, or activities. The use of facilities is allocated to outside groups in the following order of priority:
- Outside organizations sponsored by Gallaudet
- Outside organizations affiliated with Gallaudet
- Outside organizations with missions similar to Gallaudet
- Federal or district government agencies
- Outside non-profit organizations not affiliated with Gallaudet
Lower priority groups are permitted to request the use of facilities on a "space available" basis after the needs of the University and higher priority groups have been fully satisfied.
Unless special exceptions are made by the administrative officer or his/her designee, the University permits the use of facilities by incorporated, nonprofit organizations only. For the purpose of this policy, nonprofit organizations are defined to be exempt from the payment of Federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Exceptions to this requirement may be considered in situations where the interests of the University are specifically served. Outside organizations are not permitted to use facilities for the promotion of religious agenda, political movements or campaigns or for fundraising activities.
The University reserves the right to deny, suspend, or terminate the use of its facilities at any time if determined to be in the best interest of the University.
Gallaudet University Board of Trustees
- The Office of Business and Support Services is responsible for coordinating requests for use of facilities (with the exception of the Alumni House, Elstad Auditorium, athletic facilities, Student Union Building and playing fields) by outside organizations, including: receiving requests; determining the fee schedule and the manner of payment; preparing and authorizing the use of facilities agreement; coordinating the request with affected budget units; and advising the administrative officer or his/her designee regarding approval or denial of a request as appropriate. The administrative officer or his/her designee may waive fees in special situations. The Office of Business and Support Services may delegate responsibility for coordinating facilities use to another unit for specific programs or activities.
- The Office of Business and Support Services assists individual departments in developing departmental fees related to the use of facilities.
- The Office of Business and Support Services develops and updates, as required, a written list of procedures related to the use of facilities by outside organizations. These procedures are made available to all departments and should be followed for use of facilities requests.
- Outside organizations must provide written proof of incorporation and nonprofit status prior to using Gallaudet facilities.
- Outside groups must provide written proof of insurance covering personal injury and loss or damage to property at coverage levels acceptable to the University. The user must list the University as an additional insured on such policies; and, prior to the use of facilities, must provide the University with a Certificate of Insurance.
- Outside organizations must request authorization to consume alcoholic beverages in advance from the Office of Business and Support Services. Decisions regarding the consumption of alcohol are based on the overall risk exposure to the University. If alcohol consumption is approved, outside organizations must adhere to the policy and procedures for alcoholic beverages.
- Outside organizations are fully responsible for the actions and behaviors of organization members and guests while those individuals are on University premises.
- Outside organizations are responsible for repairing or replacing any property which is lost, damaged, or stolen by members or guests of the outside organization.
- The following facilities are not scheduled by Business and Support Services but are available for private or social events:
- Peikoff Alumni House (contact Alumni Relations)
- Athletic Fields (contact the Athletics Department)
- Elstad Auditorium (contact the Theatre Arts Department)
- Student Union Building (contact Campus Activities)