Williams, Boyce R., 1910-
Papers of Boyce R. Williams, 1968-1977
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 72
Title: Papers of Boyce R. Williams, 1968-1977.
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 10.
Processed by: Colleen M. Crisp. 1996 September 6.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
- Dedication of Hughes Memorial Gymnasium (II) [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 403-4
- Guests of Unveiling of Edward Miner Gallaudet Statue [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 169-4
- Powrie Vaux Doctor [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Portraits
- Photograph album of John V. Wurdemann [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Photograph Album AL 52
- Boyce R. Williams [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Portraits
- Papers, Boyce R. Williams 1970. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
- Papers, Alberta DeLozier, 1949-1950. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
- Papers, Hilda Tillinghast Williams. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
- Boyce R. Williams. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Biographical
Boyce R. Williams was born on August 29, 1910 in Racine, Wisconsin. He became deaf at the age of 17 from spinal meningitis. He attended Wisconsin School for the Deaf four months before entering Gallaudet College.
He entered Gallaudet College in 1929. He was a president of the Gallaudet College Athletic Association during his senior year. He was one of the few men still around who played two consecutive winning seasons. He graduated from Gallaudet College in 1932. After graduating, he taught at the Wisconsin School for the Deaf for two years and then at the Indiana School for the Deaf for two years. While at Indiana School for the Deaf, he was the Vocational Training Director in 1937.
He married a woman who was the 4th generation of the Tillinghast family to teach the Deaf. They had three boys.
In 1940, Boyce R. Williams received his Master of Arts from Columbia University in New York. In 1945, he moved to Washington, DC to become a consultant to the Rehabilitation Services Administration on Programs for Deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired.
Boyce R. Williams was active at Gallaudet College. He served on Board of Directors and Board of Fellows and was a president of Gallaudet College Alumni Association. He received several awards. Among them, the National Association of the Deaf Distinguished Service Award, and the Daniel T. Cloud Memorial Award for Leadership from San Fernando Valley State College. He also received honorary degrees. One was a Doctor of Laws from Gallaudet College and another was a Doctor of Letters from Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
After 38 years with Vocational Rehabilitation, Boyce R. Williams retired in 1983. During the year 1983-1984 he was a recipient of the Powrie Vaux Doctor Chair of Deaf Studies.
Scope and Content
The Papers of Boyce R. Williams consist of letters, biography notes, newsletters, and programs from 1968 to 1977.
The letters consist of congratulations from various people. The year was 1968 when Boyce R. Williams was awarded the Daniel T. Cloud Memorial Leadership Award. He was awarded this award because of his monumental service to the Deaf. The letters were from representatives of schools for the Deaf, rehabilitation workers, and the Deaf community.
There is a program that mentioned Boyce R. Williams received the Daniel T. Cloud Leadership Award. The program also included a short information about Daniel T. Cloud.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
|Box||Folder||Title of Folder||Date|
|1||2||Letters of Congratulations, A‑H||1968|
|1||3||Letters of Congratulations, J‑Z||1968|
|1||5||Newsletters ‑ Lions Mane; dedicated to Boyce R. Williams and Frederick C. Schreiber||1977|
|1||6||Programs ‑ Daniel T. Cloud Leadership Award Program||1968|