A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Merrill Learning Center (MLC) B125(202) 250-2604 (videophone)Email
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives Call No.: MSS 76Creator: Title: Collection of Laro Club, Inc., 1938-1979Quantity: 1.5 Linear Feet (3 document boxes) Abstract: Note: This document last updated 2006 January 3.
Acquisition Information: Laro Club, Inc. papers were given to the Gallaudet University Archives by Robert Swain Jr. The gift was made in 1982. Processed by: Carielyn Kelly. 1984 June 13.Processing Note: Revised by Gary W. Brooks. 1998 May 12.Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
Scope and Content
In 1935, the Laro Club (Oral spelled backwards) was founded by a group of five deaf oralists. In 1938, a total of 49 deaf oralists joined together for the sole purpose of organizing the Laro Club.
The club was designed as a social club for practicing deaf oral adults in the greater New York Metropolitan Area. Schools represented by members were: Clarke School for the Deaf, St. Louis Central Institute for the Deaf, Public School 47 in Manhattan, Lexington School for the Deaf, St. Josephs School and various other private schools.
The Laro club, Inc. collection consists of approximately 700 pages, dates from 1938-1979. The bulk of the collection falls into the period when the club was in its peak: 1950-1964. Eventually the club became the best known social group for oral deaf adults in the country. During the club's peak years, it had slightly over 100 members.
Membership was based on sponsors, applications, personal interviews and a percentage vote at the business meetings. Membership applications from 1940-1970 are included in this collection, as well as the Cash Account Books and the club's Constitution (ratified 1938).
Business meetings were held every month. Social affairs were held monthly except for July and August. Fund raising events were sponsored for worthwhile causes. The clubs outstanding social event was their annual banquet and dinner. Social affair reports, social activities, membership lists and business meeting minutes can be found in the collection.
In 1955, the Laro Club became incorporated. In 1961 it published and disseminated its first issue of the newsletter, "Largo Log". This newsletter was printed until 1965. It seemed that the Laro Log was an effective means keeping members together. Copies of many of the newsletters, various correspondence and information from the historical committee are included in the collection.
Over the years, the club's membership rules changed. Standards relaxed to encourage more members. This dissatisfied members among the Old Guard. Inevitably interest lagged, and membership dropped. In September 1979, the Laro Club, Inc. disbanded.
Correspondence by the following people can be found among the Laro Club, Inc. Papers: Franz Ascher, LaMoyne Ascher, Eugene Bergan, Helen Gordon Bergan, Catherine Evans, Howard Hoffman, Margaret Jackson, Milton Ohringer, Chares Rancke, William Rogers, Elliott Rosenholz, James Russell, and Robert Swain.
Series Descriptions and Folder ListsNo Series
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2021 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15