A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Merrill Learning Center (MLC) B125(202) 250-2604 (videophone)Email
MSS 82Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service, est. 1977Collection of Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service, 1978-1983
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives Call No.: MSS 82Creator: Title: Collection of Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service Quantity: 1.0 Linear Feet (2 document boxes) Abstract: Note: This document last updated 2005 December 1.
Acquisition Information: The Deaf Interfaith collection was donated to the Gallaudet University Archives by Laura-Jean Gilbert. Processed by: Gary W. Brooks. 1998 April 23 October 9.Processing Note: Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service was organized in 1977 and it was incorporated on May 29, 1979. Before the founding of the Deaf Interfaith, there was a group of hearing and deaf persons representing from various religious background concerned that the theological education opportunities were not available to deaf people. Deaf people who received their degrees in religious fields were neglected by the religious community. The group began to discuss these concerns in Washington, D.C. in the fall of 1977.
The result of the meeting was the formation of "Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service" The members of Deaf Interfaith created goals to provide for the needs of Deaf religious patrons. After they achieved their goals, they made a presentation to the Board of Directors of the Washington Theological Consortium in the fall of 1978, requesting that the member schools of the consortium accept qualified deaf applicants with the purpose and goals of the Deaf Interfaith.
On May 29, 1979, Deaf Interfaith was incorporated under the laws of the District of Columbia. It was managed by a volunteer, working Board of Directors, and an Advisory Board of persons who were knowledgeable in the fields of education, deafness, ministry, and theological education. At that time, the officers of the Board of Directors were run by President Tom Mather, Vice President Fran Kenyon, Secretary Sister Alverna Hollis, and Treasurer Rev. Kathy Black.
Scope and Content
The Deaf Interfaith: Theological Advocacy Service Collection contains of two boxes of correspondence, letters, proposals, financial reports, minutes, biographies, newsletters, news releases, constitution and by laws, and incorporation.
The collection, which consists of approximately 1,500 papers dated from 1978-1983. The collection covers some biographies of members of Deaf Interfaith; correspondence and letters from different religious communities; minutes of the Board of Directors; Endorsement letters regarding financial needs for Deaf Interfaith. Also, in this collection are proposals for consortium and their goals and guidelines. There is a copy of incorporation and bylaws. There is also a brief history of the organization and its purpose.
Series Descriptions and Folder ListsNo Series
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2021 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15