Marr & Holman Architectural Firm
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 102
Title: Collection of Marr & Holman Architectural Firm, Tennessee School for the Deaf
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 4.
Acquisition Information: The Tennessee State Library and Archives donated these documents to the Gallaudet University Archives.
Processed by: Ronald Rood Jr. 2000 July 21.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
- Gallaudet alumni reunion [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 210-4
- Thomas Scott Marr [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 11-8, 53-8
- Thomas Scott Marr [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Portraits
- Photograph album of Thomas S. Marr [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Photograph Album AL 4
- Photograph album of Uriel Cloran Jones [picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Photograph Album AL 75
- Wesley Lauritsen, 1949-1961. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
- Thomas Scott Marr. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Biographical
|1866||Thomas Marr was born on October 20th.|
|1869||Marr became Deaf due to scarlet fever.|
|1884||Completion of Marr's high school education.|
|1889||Marr graduated from Gallaudet College with Bachelor of Science degree.|
|1892||At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Marr took some architecture courses.|
|1897||By this time he finally owned an office which he paid 10 dollars per month for rent.|
|1904||Marr hired a boy named Joseph Holman, a 13-year-old boy, as an errand boy.|
|1910||Thomas Marr admitted to partnership with Joseph Holman.|
|1923||Richard S. Reynolds was hired as a Civil engineer.|
|1924||Eight different buildings at the Tennessee School for the Deaf campus were erected by Marr.|
|1928||James L. Howard was hired as a structural engineer.|
|1936-||Marr died on March 2 due to paralysis stroke. Holman took over the firm.|
|1952||Holman passed away. The firm was reorganized and Reynolds took over until his retirement in 1970.|
Scope and Content
The Marr & Holman architectural firm collection contains one box of several of contracts, agreements, and letters between the firm and other companies for various reasons. The collection, which consists of approximately 2,400 papers, is dated from 1922-1925. The collection includes each typed letters, proof of purchase. Whole papers are photocopied. The original is at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The information is available for public.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
|Box||Folder||Title of Folder||Date|
|1||2||(Duplicated of folder 1)||1922-1924|
|1||4||(Duplicated of folder 2)||1923|
|1||6||(Duplicated of folder 3)||1923-1925|