Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 172
Title: Collection of Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf, 1874-1916
Quantity: 0.5 linear feet (1 document box)
Abstract: This collection consists of addresses, constitution and amendments of the Convention, correspondence, minutes, and reports.
Processed By: Jeffrey Peterson, 2008 December 8.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
- Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Subject
- Convention bulletin. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Periodicals
- Papers, Henry L. Buzzard, 1880-1987. Gallaudet University, Call Number: MSS 59
- Papers, Edward Miner Gallaudet, 1851-1984. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 117
- Collection, Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf, 1947-1989. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 156
- Collection, Conference of Executives of American Schools for the Deaf, 1941-1986. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 157
- Papers, Bette La Verne Nuss Fauth, 1949. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
- Seventy-fifth Anniversary of Gallaudet College. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Scrapbook Album 8
The Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf (CAID) was founded in 1850 and incorporated in 1897 by an Act of the United States Congress.
The Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf consists of teachers, administrators, educational interpreters, residential personnel, and other concerned professionals involved in the education of the deaf. Its purpose is to promote professional development and communication among professionals who work with the deaf.
Every two years conferences are held featuring short courses, workshops, exhibits,
and presentations for the exchange of information among educators.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 1 document box-approximately 0.5 linear feet and 850 pages-containing material dating from 1874 to 1916. Documents within the collection include the CAID constitution and amendments, correspondence, lists of members of the Convention of the American Institute of the Deaf and Dumb held at Belleville, Ontario, on July 15-20, 1874, minutes from meetings of the executive committee from 1895 to 1920, and reports.
The majority and strongest portion of the collection is correspondence. A book containing the minutes of the Convention from 1895 to 1920 is also a strong component.
Series Description and Folder Lists
|Box||Folder||Title of Folder||Date|
|01||01||Act of Incorporation||1897|
|01||02||Addresses - Overture from the Convention to the Association by Edward Miner Gallaudet||1894|
|01||03||Constitution of the Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf||n.d.|
|01||04||Correspondence - General||1898-1914|
|01||05||Correspondence - Members of the Executive Committee||1897|
|01||06||Lists - Members of Convention of American Institute of the Deaf and Dumb||1874|
|01||07||Minutes of the Standing Executive Committee of the American Instructors of the Deaf||1895-1920|
|01||08||Minutes - Meeting of the Executive Committee||1913-1914|
|01||09||Proposed Amendment to the Constitution of the Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf||n.d.|
|01||10||Reports - Treasurer's Reports||1898-1905|
|01||11||Reports - Official Report of the Model Schools for the Deaf and for the Blind||1905|
|01||12||Reports - Report on Group 7||1902|
|01||13||Reports - Reports of the Executive Committee||1898-1911|
|01||14||Savings Bond and Banking||1916|