A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Merrill Learning Center (MLC) B125(202) 250-2604 (videophone)Email
Gallaudet University Archives
Descriptive SummaryRepository: Gallaudet University ArchivesCall No.: MSS 177Creator:Title: Papers of Jane W. Brownlow, 1893-1996Quantity: 3 linear feet (6 document boxes)Abstract: This collection consists of Jane W. Brownlow's research papers on the history of the Reinhardt School for the Deaf Children in Kensington, Maryland. Her research includes correspondence, speech-training notes, school recollections, various articles, calendars, alumni directories, genealogical information, photographs, journals and individual student biographies. Note:
Acquisition Information: The Papers of Jane W. Brownlow was donated to the Gallaudet University Archives by Jane W. Brownlow on January 16, 1996.Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 October 22.Processing Note:Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The Reinhardt School for Deaf Children was founded in 1908 by Anna C. Reinhardt, who came to Kensington, Maryland from Philadelphia where she taught with deaf children at Bala School for the Deaf. Miss Reinhardt was born in Philadelphia in 1864. She took special training in teaching the deaf. She was a pioneer in the teaching of lip-reading and speech to deaf children. Miss Reinhardt was the first educator of the deaf to use the Montessori Method in America. The Reinhardt School continued to operate until Miss Reinhardt passed away in 1935 and the school was disbanded in 1955.
Scope and Content
The papers of Jane W. Brownlow consist of 6 document boxes for a total of 3 linear feet and approximately 5,100 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1893 to 1996 with the majority of content from 1976 to 1990 as indicated with those years of Jane W. Brownlow's research. The bulk of the papers are with research notes, letters, and interviews with former pupils of the Reinhardt's School for Deaf Children. Jane W. Brownlow spent much of her time in research on the history of the school in preparing for publish a book. However, the book was never materialized.
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2021 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15