A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Merrill Learning Center (MLC) B125(202) 250-2604 (videophone)Email
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University ArchivesCall No.: Record Group 1Creator: Title: Collection, Linguistics Research Laboratory, 1954-1984Quantity: 7.5 linear foot (15 boxes)Abstract: This collection consists of letters, articles, catalogs, grant applications, reports, clippings, minutes, proposals, memorandums and newsletters related on research of sign language. Note:
Acquisition Information: The collection was transferred to the Gallaudet University Archives in 1985.Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 October 19.Processed Note:Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The Linguistics Research Laboratory, a separate unit of the College, was established in 1970. Dr. William C. Stokoe, Jr., where he conducted linguistic research at Gallaudet from 1957 until 1971 and became the first Director of the Linguistics Research Laboratory on July 1, 1971. Dr. Stokoe was a chairman of the Department of English at Gallaudet. The Laboratory became a part of the Research Institute in 1978. The unit conducted in study of sign language and research the system of the language used by Deaf people. The Linguistics Research Laboratory closed on December 31, 1984.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 15 document boxes for a total of 7.5 linear feet and approximately 12,750 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1954 to 1984 with the majority of content from 1971 to 1979.The bulk of the collection is letters written by correspondents related on research of the sign language. Some materials in the collection contain grant applications to obtain funds for more research on sign language. This collection has some early documents on sign language that Dr. Stokoe wrote between 1960s and 1970s. Interested linguistics may be able to look on the early documents related to the research on sign language.
Click Here to View the Folders List
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2022 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15