A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Merrill Learning Center (MLC) B125(202) 250-2604 (videophone)Email
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University ArchivesCall No.: Record Group 2Creator:Title: Yesteryear at Gallaudet,1963-1969Quantity: 0.5 linear foot (1 document box)Abstract: This collection consists of correspondence and manuscripts for a book that was tentatively titled, "Yesteryear at Gallaudet".Note:
Acquisition Information: The collection was transferred to the Gallaudet University Archives from the Office of Alumni, Gallaudet University on May 26, 1993.Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 July 31.Processing Note:Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The first Alumni Office was opened on the campus in 1960 and the office was located in the Student Union Building. In 1962, the Alumni Office was moved to Dawes House. David Peikoff was the first director of the Alumni Affairs of the Alumni Office that was financed jointly by the Gallaudet College Alumni Association and Gallaudet College. In 1968, the Alumni Office was operated with the University's budget and Jack R. Gannon, a member of the Class of 1959, was hired as the first full-time executive secretary and Director of Alumni Relations. That same year, the office was moved from the basement of Chapel Hall to Room 117 in Hall Memorial Building. The office again was moved to College Hall in 1970. In 1971, the Alumni and Public Relations offices became merged and the number of employees increased from two to nine. New visitors and a youth relations programs were added. At that time it was relocated to Chapel Hall. In 1982, the Office of the Alumni and Public Relations moved into a newly renovated Peikoff Alumni House, known as Ole Jim.
The name changed to the Office of Alumni Relations and serves as a liaison between the alumni and the University. The University uses alumni data for reports, surveys, and accreditation. The strength and dedication of alumni to the University has been ranked one of the top reasons students come to Gallaudet.
The office is also responsible for communication with alumni and works with the Office of Public Relations in the preparation of several alumni publications and a monthly newsletter that runs through email distribution.
Scope and Content
The unpublished manuscript, Yesteryear at Gallaudet, consists of one document box for a total of .05 linear feet and approximately 800 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1963 to 1969 with the majority of content from 1963 to 1964.
The bulk of the collection is unpublished manuscripts and correspondence related to the history of Gallaudet University. The tentative title of the book was Yesteryear at Gallaudet. The Alumni Office was the instrumental in involving the compilation of articles of amusing or historical interest written by different authors during different eras and centering on Gallaudet University. That project was the dream of Roy J. Stewart, Class of 1899, and Howard T. Hofsteater, Class of 1930. They wrote much of historical articles, along with other deaf authors and reviewers, related to Gallaudet University. Unfortunately, they did not lived to see the completion of the project. The Alumni Office took over the project, but the book was never materialized.
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2021 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15