Module 7 - Parenting a Child Who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
Module 7 provides support and information for families and caregivers of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
In Module 7, you will:
- learn about the impact on the family,
- develop an understanding of the various reactions and range of feelings families experience,
- learn about the benefits of journaling and the positive impact on families,
- develop an understanding of the various parenting styles,
- review tips provided for parents and caregivers, and
- review tips for early intervention service providers.
Downloadable resources and additional information are provided at the bottom of this module web page.
Module 7: Parenting a Child Who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
Early Intervention Network: Supporting Linguistic Competence for Children Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
This on-line network shares five evidence-based factors and supporting program components shown to be essential for the development of linguistic competence in children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Various programs implementing these factors from throughout the country are highlighted. There are many resources for promoting both visual and spoken language development.
Supports Module 7: The Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind, Outreach Programs, developed videos you can access to share with students who are deaf or hard of hearing and their families. The videos feature a variety of young, successful adults sharing some of their life experiences. More videos will continue to be added.
Supports Module 7: Guide By Your Side is a Hands & Voices program that embodies our strong values of direct peer connections and networking.