Externship in Psychology 2019-2020
Thank you for your interest in receiving training at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Gallaudet University. Applications for the 2019-2020 Psychology Externship Position are due by Friday, February 22, 2019 by 5:00 pm (EST). Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews. Once the interviews are completed, applicants will be notified in accordance with the DC Consortium guidelines determnied by the Greater Washington Area Directors of Clinical Training. Feel free to contact the Coordinator of Training, Mary Hufnell, Psy.D. via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application process.
Please click the link to view the CAPS Training Brochure
Applications must include:
- a cover letter indicating your interest in the position;
- a resume or curriculum vitae;
- two letters of recommendation with at least one letter from your department;
- a 10-15 minute videotape of a mock counseling session (with a volunteer "client") that is conducted in American Sign Language; and
- copy of ASLPI results from Gallaudet University (ASLPI) showing a 3 or better proficiency level. Please note that ASLPI scores can take up to 6 weeks to process the results; therefore, plan ahead to ensure that results are processed by the application due date above.
Please Note: because of ethical concerns, applicants cannot have multiple relationships with CAPS or the Gallaudet student population. Thus, they cannot be past or current clients of CAPS or receive services as a client in the future. Some jobs on campus, such as in the residence halls or other part-time positions on campus, can create dual relationships. Therefore, it is possible that extern would not be able to hold certain positions on campus while in training at CAPS. Discuss any jobs that you have or concerns about this issue with the director.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.