All recent Department of American Sign Language and Deaf Studies bachelor's degree recipients are employed (44 percent) or in graduate school (56 percent) within one year of graduation. Several continue their studies at Gallaudet, which offers the world's premier graduate program in deaf studies.
All recent graduate-level alumni of the department are either employed (94 percent) or pursuing further education (6 percent).
Recent Alumni Positions
- Andrew Bottoms, '12, Professor, Boston University School of Education
- Meredith Burke, '11 & G-'14, Deaf Studies Adjunct Faculty, Gallaudet University
- Meredith Peruzzi, '11, Director, Gallaudet Museum
- Elena Ruiz, G-'13, Deaf Studies Faculty, California State University, Northridge
- Dr. Jessica Lee, G-'04, Monitoring and Evaluation Team Lead, Dexis Consulting Group (Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Octavian Robinson, '02 & G-'04, Deaf Studies Faculty, College of the Holy Cross (Ph.D., History, Ohio State University)
- Dr. Laura Mauldin, G-'05, Human Development Faculty, University of Connecticut (Ph.D., Sociology, City University of New York)
Internships in Education and Community Services
Education and community services are projected to be among the top five job categories requiring postsecondary education, according to the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. Programs in the Department of American Sign Language and Deaf Studies position students for career success through a strong network of internship sites in these and other fields.
Recent internship sites include:
- American School for the Deaf
- Arlington County Public Schools
- Baltimore County Public Schools
- BIDKIDS Daycare Center-Washington, D.C.
- Brentwood Elementary School-Washington, D.C.
- Court Services and Offenders' Supervision Agency- Washington, D.C.
- Deaf Abused Women's Network (DAWN)-Washington, D.C.
- Deaf Addiction Services-Baltimore, Md.
- Deaf Community Advocacy Network-Sylvan Lake, Mich.
- Deaf REACH-Washington, D.C.
- Delaware School for the Deaf
- Easter Seals Child Development Center-Washington, D.C.
- The Learning Center for the Deaf-Framingham, Mass.
- Frederick Community College-Frederick, Md.
- Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing-Baltimore, Md.
- Helping Educate to Advance the Rights of the Deaf (HEARD)-Washington, D.C.
- Homeless Services Unit-Washington, D.C.
- Kansas School for the Deaf
- Kennedy Krieger Institute-Baltimore, Md.
- Kids Peace-Washington, D.C.
- Louisiana School for the Deaf
- Maryland School for the Deaf
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD)-Silver Spring, Md.
- National Council on Disability-Washington, D.C.
- Office of Human Rights-Denver, Colo.
- Public Defender Service-Washington, D.C.
- Safe Shores-Washington, D.C.
- Thrive DC-Washington, D.C.
- Virginia School for the Deaf