Questions & Answers

What degrees are offered?

The Department offers three degrees: the M.S. Degree in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP), the Clinical doctoral degree in Audiology (Au.D.), and the Ph.D. degree in Hearing Speech and Language Sciences. The M.S. and Au.D. degrees are entry level degrees for speech-language pathologists and audiologists.

How many students are in the Department?

On average the department has 90 full-time students, including 30 students in the SLP program, 48 in the Au.D. program, and 10 in the Ph.D. program. In addition the department offers courses to undergraduate and graduate students outside of the Department.

Where do graduates of these programs work after they graduate?

Audiology and speech language pathology graduates may find themselves in a variety of settings, such as hospitals, private practices, and schools. Some Au.D.s and SLPs are employed in schools and clinics where they work with deaf and hard of hearing children. Currently there are graduates from the HSLS Department at the American School for the Deaf, Kendall Demonstration School, Maryland School for the Deaf, California School for the Deaf in Fremont, the Learning Center, The River School, and many other programs for deaf and hard of hearing children throughout the country.

How many faculty are in HSLS?

The Department currently has 10 faculty members. In addition, there are 10 audiologists and speech language pathologists on staff. These professionals provide audiological, speech, language and communication diagnostic and habilitation services through the Hearing and Speech Center. The Department's professional staff also supervises the practicum of graduate students.

What is the Department's orientation towards deafness?

Students learn about deafness from a biological, social, and cultural perspective. A unique aspect of Gallaudet's programs is the central role that both ASL and Deaf culture play in student learning. This sets Gallaudet's programs apart from the Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences programs at other Universities. The Deaf-centric philosophy of the Department provides opportunities for Deaf people to shape future directions for the discipline.

What takes place in the Hearing and Speech Center?

The Center contains a number of programs aimed at providing both hearing and deaf clients on campus and in the Washington metropolitan area with support and training aimed at improving communication skills. The center provides services in multiple areas: audiological services, vestibular and balance assessment, speech-language assessment and treatment, and communication and habilitation (aural rehabilitation assessment and services.

Who delivers the services that are provided in the Hearing and Speech Center?

The GU Hearing and Speech Center, a part of the HSLS Dept., is a teaching and training clinic. Services are delivered primarily by graduate students supervised by certified Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists. Services may also be provided by certified clinical staff with a broad range of speech, hearing, language and communication expertise, in areas such as aural rehabilitation, voice, aphasia and cognitive communication, cochlear implants, balance and auditory processing.

Does the Hearing and Speech Center offer services to people who are not deaf?

Yes. The Center is open to D/deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing individuals in the Gallaudet community and DC metropolitan area.

Can Deaf people enter the professions of Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology?

Gallaudet has had a number of deaf and hard of hearing graduates in the past. It is part of our mission to make the professions of audiology and speech-language science as accessible as possible for those who are deaf or hard of hearing. Gallaudet graduates are breaking new ground in the audiology profession and de-pathologizing hearing, speech and language sciences. All students are held to the same standards and requirements regardless of hearing status.

Do people in HSLS sign?

Yes. All students are required to complete American Sign Language (ASL) courses. In addition, students are required to take a sequence of courses that focus on the use of American Sign Language in working with deaf clients. These tailored classes provide students with discipline-specific signs that are unique to audiology and speech-language sciences. These classes also provide students with praxis in communicating information that is often associated with speech and hearing assessments.

What kind of research is conducted in HSLS?

There are a variety of research projects in the department, examination of the language characteristics of deaf children, strategies for early detection of hearing loss, development of assessment of balance disorders associated with deafness, phonological awareness and literacy in college-age students, voice quality in cochlear implant wearers, and signal processing and music perception in cochlear implant wearers.

Are HSLS students involved with the campus community?

Our graduate students live in the same dorms as students in other programs. They have the same opportunities to engage in the Gallaudet community as other graduate students, and are able to immerse themselves in Gallaudet's environment rich in Deaf culture and American Sign Language.