Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing, members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
The Department of Science, Technology, & Mathematics seeks a full-time tenure-track faculty member to join the Information Technology program. Candidates with professional-level work experience in the IT field in addition to demonstrated potential for competency in teaching, research, and service are highly desirable. Fluency in American Sign Language at time of appointment is highly desirable, but not required. Applicants who are not fluent must be willing to learn. Rank and salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The 9-month appointment is for the academic year beginning August 16, 2019. Position is contingent on funding.
1. Teach IT courses on multiple topics, including, but not limited to, the following: programming, database administration and support, network and systems administration or support, and information security.
2. Teach undergraduate courses with IT themes for the interdisciplinary general studies (GSR) program.
3. Engage in scholarship/research in the IT field, including grant-funded research.
4. Advise and mentor students in the IT major.
5. Provide mentored undergraduate research experiences.
6. Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
7. Participate in data collection for the ABET accreditation application process.
1. An earned doctorate information technology, computer science, or a closely related field.
2. Documented content knowledge in a range of areas including programming, information security, database administration and support, network and systems administration or support.
3. A record of or potential for outstanding teaching, scholarship, and a commitment to service.
4. Prior work experience as an IT professional is highly desirable.
5. Competence in American Sign Language (ASL) is required. Newly hired faculty who are new to ASL will be required to learn the language and demonstrate competence over time as stipulated in the Faculty Handbook. Support for learning ASL includes ASL classes, tutoring, and gatherings.
6. Candidates must demonstrate strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. If you have questions or are unsure whether you might be a good fit, please contact us to discuss your interest. Interested applicants should prepare and send the following:
1. Official graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. A list of three individuals who can provide a reference. Please indicate on the list your explicit permission for the screening committee to contact these individuals.
4. Three letters of recommendation relevant to this position. Please contact these individuals to ask that the letter of recommendation be sent directly to the Department Chair at the mailing address or email address below.
5. One-page letter of application explaining why you are a good fit for this position and for Gallaudet.
6. One-page Statement of Teaching Philosophy.
7. One-page Statement of Research Interests. Your statement should outline a plan for how your research could be conducted in Gallaudet’s unique environment.
All materials should be sent electronically (preferred) or by regular mail to:
Dr. Caroline Solomon, Chair
Department of Science, Technology, & Mathematics
Hall Memorial Building, N318A