Tenure Track Faculty Position in Public Health
Gallaudet University invites applications for a tenure-track position in public health in the Department of Science, Technology, and Mathematics. Target start date: August 2019.
Gallaudet, the nation's only liberal arts university for deaf and hard-of-hearing students, enjoys a visually-centered, bilingual (American Sign Language and written English), and very diverse campus in the heart of Washington, D.C. With a mission of improving the lives of deaf and hard-of-hearing people worldwide, the university is home to stimulating research, such as the National Science Foundation Science of Learning Center on Visual Language and Visual Learning. With classes of typically fewer than 20 students each, students and faculty enjoy dynamic interactions and opportunities for active and collaborative learning.
Gallaudet seeks a full-time tenure-track faculty member to provide leadership as Program Director of a new stand-alone undergraduate Public Health (PH) program, which offers an undergraduate major (BSPH) and minor. The successful candidate should have a proven record of leadership in an academic undergraduate PH program and must demonstrate clear transformative vision to develop a world-class, accreditation-eligible undergraduate PH program for deaf students at the University. Candidates with professional-level work experience and leadership in the PH field, in addition to demonstrated potential for competency in teaching, scholarship/research, and service are highly desirable. Competence in American Sign Language (ASL) is required. Newly hired faculty who are new to ASL will be required to learn the language and demonstrate competence over time as stipulated in the Faculty Handbook. Support for learning ASL includes classes, tutoring, and gatherings. Rank and salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The appointment will be ten months for the academic year beginning August 16, 2019.
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Caroline Solomon, Chair
Department of Science, Technology & Mathematics
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. If you have questions or are unsure whether you might be a good fit, please contact us to discuss your interest. Interested applicants should prepare and send the following:
1. Official graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
2. Curriculum vitae.
3. A list of three individuals who can provide a reference. Please indicate on the list your explicit permission for the screening committee to contact these individuals.
4. Three letters of recommendation relevant to this position. Please contact these individuals to ask that the letter of recommendation be sent directly to the Department Chair at the mailing address or email address below.
5. One-page letter of application explaining why you are a good fit for this position and for Gallaudet.
6. One-page Statement of Teaching Philosophy.
7. One-page Statement of Research Interests. Your statement should outline a plan for how your research could be conducted in Gallaudet's unique environment.
View official description
All materials should be sent electronically (preferred) or by regular mail to:
Dr. Caroline Solomon, Chair
Department of Science, Technology, & Mathematics
Hall Memorial Building - N318A
800 Florida Avenue, N.E.
Washington, DC 20002