In the event of a power outage in your area, remain calm and follow these steps:
- Remain where you are and open all available blinds/shades/curtains to receive outside light.
- If you are in an unlighted area without windows, go cautiously to an area that has emergency lights or outside light.
- If telephones are working, call and report the outage to DPS at x5555 (Voice/Videophone) or x5444 (TTY)--note: TTYs will not work unless they have a battery backup feature. If a pager is available, page DPS at email@example.com. Wait for further instructions from University or emergency personnel.
- If you are in an elevator, stay calm. Use the emergency button to alert Security personnel.
Water Line/Sewer Failure
In the event of a water line/sewer failure, remain calm and follow these steps:
- Notify the Department of Public Safety immediately at x5555 (Voice/Videophone), x5444 (TTY), or pager address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Advise them of the severity and location of the problem. Indicate if any objects are in imminent danger.
- Use extreme caution if any electrical appliances/outlets are near the water. Stop using all electrical equipment.
- If the source of the water is known and you are confident you can stop it safely, (i.e. unclog the drain, turn off the water), do so cautiously.
- Assist with protecting objects from water damage by removing them from the area.
- If directed to evacuate, follow the same directions for a building evacuation.
Gas Line Rupture
In the event of a gas line rupture or aroma of gas in a building, remain calm and follow these steps:
- Evacuate the building immediately! Ask others to follow you on the way out. DO NOT call anyone. DO NOT switch on/off the lights. DO NOT shut down any electrical equipment. Electrical arching can trigger an explosion.
- Once outside the building, immediately contact DPS at x5555 (Voice/TTY/Videophone) or page: email@example.com. Give them information concerning the location of the smell.
- Remain at a safe distance from the building, including windows.
- Do not enter the building until DPS or Washington Gas declares the building safe for reentry