I plan to buy a laptop and need advice. What do I need?

We recommend having both an Ethernet card and a wireless card inside the laptop for access to the Gallaudet University networks. All Windows/Mac updates need to be installed and anti-virus software is required to be installed, updated, and running in order to connect to the wireless network. We highly recommend a built-in webcam within the laptop screen for students to communicate in ASL with each other and to create videos for classes. There are software discounts available for Gallaudet University students at Gallaudet Technology Services (GTS). Please click on this link below for more information.
Website: OnTheHub

Could I have speech therapy while enrolled at the ELI?

ELI students in level 4 and above have the option of signing up for speech therapy at the Hearing and Speech Center on campus for a fee, which may be covered by health insurance.  The Hearing and Speech Center can be contacted at guhsc@gallaudet.edu regarding any questions about the speech therapy it offers.

Do I pay the ELI Student Orientation (ESO) fee each semester?

No, the ESO fee is only paid once.

Do I need a meal plan?

For students living in the dormitories, meal plans are required. Please contact Residence Life and Housing about possible waivers.

What should I do to keep safe when traveling or commuting off-campus?

The Department of Public Safety has some safety tips you could read. You could also subscribe to Gallaudet Alert announcements on your cell phone if it has texting capabilities