TRA (Taxpayer Relief Act) Hope Scholarship Credit and Lifelong Learning Credit

Beginning in January 1998, a number of tax breaks became available to help pay for the cost of higher education.

  • HOPE Scholarship Credit
  • Lifetime Learning Credit

Gallaudet University is required to provide the (amounts billed) and (scholarship or grant) figures to help you determine the amount of qualified expenses you can claim on your IRS Form 8863.  You will need a review your payment records to determine the actual qualified expenses paid. Remember that qualified amounts paid by student loans may count as payments eligible for these purposes.  Scholarships and grants received may reduce your eligible payment amounts.  See IRS Publication 970 for information to determine your qualified expenses paid amount.  The 1098-T forms will be available online on January 31, 2019. For additional information, visit the IRS website. The 1098-T forms will not be sent to those students whose eligible fees were waived.

Students do not have to file Form 1098-T or furnish a statement for:

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student;
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships; and
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veteran's Affairs or the Department of Defense.

A undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in Spring 2018, Summer 2018, or Fall 2018 qualifies for the 1098-T form.  ELI student does not qualify for the 1098-T form.

Education Tax Credit Information:

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about 1098-T's from Gallaudet University.
  • IRS web site provides education tax credit information and forms.
  • For additional questions about your eligibility for the TRA97 education tax credits please contact IRS at (800) 829-1040 or consult your tax advisor.

NOTE: Gallaudet University cannot provide you or your tax advisor with tax advice.  You need to contact your tax preparer to determine eligibility for the credits and how to calculate them.

If you did not receive a 1098-T due to a change of address, you must update your address through Registrar's Office in order to have a duplicate mailed out. To update your address, you need to complete a Change of Address Form.  After you have changed your address, send an email at .

You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.