Frequently Asked Questions

What services does GIS provide?  

  • American Sign Language/English interpreting
    • Interpreting between spoken English and American Sign Language ·        
  • Deaf-Blind Interpreting Services
    • Tactile Interpreting 
    • Close Vision Interpreting  
    • Pro-Tactile services
    • Deaf-Blind Paraprofessional Services
      • Similar to Support Service Provider services
  • Captioning
    • CART
    • TypeWell (also known as C-Print or Text Interpreting)        

How do I request interpreting or captioning services?  

Gallaudet undergraduate and graduate students:

  • For American Sign Language/English interpreting or captioning requests. contact your Academic Advisor to initiate your request.
  • For Close Vision or Tactile interpreting requests for students who are Deaf and visually impaired, contact the Office of Students with Disabilities to initiate your request.  

Gallaudet faculty:

  • Contact your department chair to initiate any communication access requests.

Gallaudet and Clerc Center staff:

  • Contact the event organizer or your department budget unit head for any communication access requests.  


If you are seeking services for an event outside of Gallaudet University, please contact us at or 202-651-5199 to get started.