M.A. in Deaf Education
(Is this program right for you? See chart.)
- Completed application form.
- Application fee of $75.
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average (on a four-point scale) in all previous undergraduate and graduate study. (Occasionally, applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 may be admitted conditionally upon the recommendation of the department.)
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate study, including evidence of having received a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. (Those applying during their final undergraduate year will be required to submit a final transcript after completion of their bachelor's degree and before enrolling in their first semester of graduate study.)
- Official transcripts of all graduate study.
- Goals statement. See Application Guidelines for more information.
- TOEFL is required from all international applicants from non-English speaking countries. (Use 5240 for the ETS institutional code)
Additional Program Requirements
- Admission is for full-time study. (Part-time enrollment will be considered on an individual basis.)
- Meet District of Columbia (DC) requirements for Basic Skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics (including Praxis Core, Praxis PPST, ACT, SAT, or GRE)
- Evidence of experiences working/teaching Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children
- Evidence of satisfactory federal criminal background check (or use this alternative option for the fastest way).
- A minimum ASLPI result of 2+
- If ASLPI rating is lower than 2+, the candidate is strongly encouraged to attend the Gallaudet University summer ASL immersion program.
- ASL Department Goal Statement: Applicants to the M.A. in Education: Teacher Preparation Program are required to send, as part of their application, a 3-5 minute video sample of the applicant's signing, covering two topics listed below, to demonstrate proficiency in ASL. The video can be in DVD or YouTube Link format.
Two topics (In ASL):
- Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest degree, your concentration area(s), length of time using ASL, and how have you learned it.
- Describe your philosophy of education in relation to teaching and learning. Include any theories in education that support or align with your beliefs.
Please email the Department of Education: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions concerning program requirements or need further information.
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.