Gallaudet University Hearing and Speech Center

Third Party Healthcare Insurance Coverage Questions and Answers


For questions related to what audiological and (re)habilitation services are and are not covered by your provider, how much to expect to pay out of pocket, deductibles, and other pertinent information please contact your insurance provider directly. Please note that if your insurance provider covers hearing aids, you will need to pay "up front" for the hearing aids when they are dispensed and then submit a claim to your insurance provider for reimbursement.


Q: How do I contact the Gallaudet Hearing and Speech Center?
A: Contact the GUHSC front desk administrator by email at, or by calling 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone).


Q: Why did GUHSC decide to start accepting third party insurance?
A: Since the opening of the GUHSC in the Sorenson Language and Communication Center in 2008, the intent has been to offer audiological and related services to the larger D.C. community. In order to do that, GUHSC had to begin accepting third party insurance coverage to be able to offer affordable services to patients.


Once GUHSC began accepting Medicaid, Medicare and other third party insurance coverage it was required to comply with regulatory mandates and guidelines that specify that all patients provide third party insurance information, if available.


Q: When will third party insurance information start to be collected by GUHSC?
A: May 31, 2011.


Q: How do I schedule an appointment?
A: Contact the GUHSC front desk administrator by email at, or by calling 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone).


Q: What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
A: One form of government-issued identification, such as a driver's license or a passport, and your insurance card.


Q: Which insurance carriers does GUHSC accept?
A: GUHSC currently accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield, United Healthcare, TRICARE, and Medicaid and Medicare.


Q: What if I (or my family member) don't have healthcare insurance?
A: If you don't have insurance you can still receive services at GUHSC. You will be charged on a sliding scale based on what you can afford to pay.


Q: I have Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) support. What do I need to bring to my appointment?
A: GUHSC will need your VR counselor's full name and contact information including address, phone number and/or email address.


Q: How do the changes affect the discount on hearing aids I have received in the past?
A: Because of the regulations attached to accepting insurance payments, we are unable to offer special pricing for employees. However, GUHSC is working to provide the best possible value to all of its patients who purchase hearing aids and expect our prices to be highly competitive.


Q: I have healthcare insurance but not one that GUHSC accepts. Can I still obtain services at GUSHC?
A: Yes, you can obtain services. At the time of your visit, you will need to pay for the cost of services up front. GUHSC will provide you with the necessary receipt and documentation you will need to apply for reimbursement from your provider.


Q: Who do I contact if I have questions about my bill?
A: Contact the GUHSC front desk administrator by email at, or by calling 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone).