Gallaudet University created the “DEAF EYES” project to bring Deaf history to the public and expand our understanding of United States history. The project is multi-faceted and includes the:
- Exhibition – History Through Deaf Eyes
- Documentary Film - Through Deaf Eyes
- Book – Through Deaf Eyes: A Photographic History of an American Community
- Poster Series – available for purchase via the Clerc Center
- DVD shown within the exhibition: By Necessity and By Choice: How We Communicate
Gallaudet University produced the exhibition, book, poster series, and this website.
Students from the St. Rita’s School for the Deaf. Cincinnati, Ohio, 1918.
Photograph by J.B. Schmidt.
National Archives, Image: 165-WW-77E-3.
History Through Deaf Eyes
was made possible by a major grant from the
and generous support from:
THE MOTOROLA FOUNDATION
THE JOHN S. and JAMES L. KNIGHT FOUNDATION
THE ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION