1. Before You Apply:
Before you apply for Paid Family Leave benefits online, use our application checklist below to make sure you have all the items you need.
Checklist for Benefits Application:
- Tell your employer
- Provide basic information
- Gather necessary documents, including a driver's license or social security number, healthcare provider information, and health condition details. A full list of documents can be found on our website.
2. To Apply:
When you are ready to apply for benefits, you can do so online by visiting our Paid Family Leave benefits portal to establish an account.
- Select “not registered” to set up your new account.
- Under Option 2, select “create an account” and agree to the privacy agreement.
- Proceed to enter the necessary information to register and file a claim.
Want to request a paper application? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (202) 899-3700.
3. After You Apply:
The Office of Paid Family Leave (OPFL) will contact you within 10 business days. During those 10 days, OPFL staff will review your application and notify your employer that you have filed a claim for Paid Family Leave benefits. After OPFL has made a decision on your claim, OPFL will notify you about your claim in the preferred method you selected in your application (by email or postal mail).
Download our PFL Employee Handbook for additional information about qualifying events and the PFL program.