What do I do if I am eligible to retire?

Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS)

Planning for retirement should begin well before you decide to leave. The Benefits Specialist can provide you with an estimate of your retirement annuity based on several factors that you select, such as date of retirement and whether or not you will leave a survivor annuity. If you have previous Federal or Gallaudet service, military service or temporary service, you may need to make a deposit to receive credit for this time towards retirement. The Benefits Specialist can determine whether this service is eligible for credit and can provide you with an estimate of the deposit due. Although a deposit can be paid up until the government adjudicates your final retirement annuity, it is best that a deposit be paid as early in your career as possible since interest is charged on the balance due.

Once you have made the decision to retire, please notify your supervisor in writing. It is helpful if you give as much notice as possible so that plans can be made for your separation. No later than 30 days before your retirement date, you should make an appointment with the Benefits Specialist to go over the forms you need to complete to apply for a retirement annuity.

It may take as long as two months before you receive your first retirement check. It is important that you make financial arrangements for the interim.

Please check Retirement & Insurance Information for additional information.

Health Insurance

You may continue your Federal health insurance into retirement provided you are enrolled at the time of retirement and have been enrolled (or covered as a family member) for five years immediately preceding your retirement.

Please check Health Insurance for additional information.

Life Insurance

Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) may be continued into retirement provided you are enrolled at the time of retirement and have been enrolled for five years immediately preceding your retirement.

University life insurance may be converted to an individual, direct-pay policy within 31 days after retirement without proof of insurability.

Please check Life Insurance for additional information.

University Dental Insurance

Dental Insurance may be continued through COBRA on a direct-pay basis for up to 18 months from the date of retirement.

You may continue your Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) into retirement. Contact the program directly through BENEFEDS.

Please check University Dental Insurance for additional information.

Sick Leave

If you accrue sick leave, your unused sick leave balance will be added to your length of service for computing your CSRS and FERS annuity.  

Thrift Savings Plan

There are several options for withdrawing your TSP funds. You may also leave your funds on deposit and continue to earn interest until a later date. You must, however, begin to withdraw funds at no later than age 70½.

Please check Thrift Savings Plan for additional information.

Retirement Gift

Retirees will receive a framed certificate of appreciation and a catalog of fine gifts from which select a retirement award. You may choose to have your award personalized with the Gallaudet logo.

Privileges After Retirement

You may go to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and request a retiree ID card. This card will allow you access to campus facilities.