What do I do in the event of the death of an employee?

If someone in your department passes away, please inform the HRS Office immediately. The family should be directed to e-mail the Benefits Associate for an appointment. A removal Personnel Action Form should be prepared and submitted to the HRS Office as soon as possible.

For your information, the following describes what occurs with deceased employees benefits:


If the employee was vested in the retirement system, the surviving next of kin may be eligible for a benefit.

Please check "What do I do if I am eligible to retire?" for additional information.

Health Insurance

If a benefit is payable through the retirement system, the family may be eligible to continue health insurance. Otherwise, the family will be eligible for Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC).

Please check Health Insurance for additional information.

Life Insurance

A death benefit is payable to the designated beneficiaries. If no beneficiaries are designated, the order of precedence is followed. The order of precedence is:

  1. widow or widower
  2. child or children in equal shares
  3. parents in equal shares
  4. executor of the estate.

Please check Life Insurance for additional information.

University Dental Insurance

If the employee was paying for family coverage, the covered family members have COBRA rights to continue the coverage at their own expense.

There is no provision for continuing coverage for family members under Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Check BENEFEDS for more information.

Please check University Dental Insurance for additional information.