New Employees Onboarding
Welcome to Gallaudet University! We are excited to have you join our creative, diverse, passionate, and energizing community. The purpose of this website is to help guide you through the New Employees Onboarding process. We all know how exciting and sometimes overwhelming the first day in a new job can be.
In this section you will find information what you should do before and on your first day. Some things you need to know or can do to help your first day run smoothly.
Do you know how to get to Gallaudet University?
- Click here for directions to Gallaudet University.
- Gallaudet University is also metro accessible, we are near two metro stations on the red line: NoMA-Gallaudet U and Union Station. There are shuttle buses from NoMA-Gallaudet U and Union Station Metro Stations that goes straight to Gallaudet University. The shuttle bus schedule can be found here.
- Gallaudet University's campus map can be found here.
Before coming in on your first day of work:
- Complete Section I on the I-9 form. This must be submitted to your new department prior to your first day. You will need to bring your ORIGINAL documents with you within 3 days of your first day of employment. At list of acceptable documents can be found here. Your department or Human Resources will review the original documents and complete Section 2 on the I-9.
- Complete the Employee Data Sheet. It can be found here. This should be submitted to your new department prior to your first day.
- You can complete your tax forms here. This should be submitted to your new department prior to your first day.
- You can complete the Direct Deposit form here. This should be submitted to your new department prior to your first day.
- You can visit Gallaudet University's Human Resources online to get an overview on what benefits are provided.
- If you are new to campus, you should take advantage of a campus tour with the Visitor's Center. Please ask your new department to set up a tour for you (scheduled during your first week).
On your first day of work:
- Meet with your direct supervisor and obtain your schedule for the week (it should include the benefits orientation, which is normally scheduled on Wednesdays).
- Obtain your GU ID number and get your ID badge from the Department of Public Safety, Carlin Hall, Ground Floor. You can also obtain a parking pass from DPS. Currently, the fee is $157 per year.
- Activate your GALLAUDET computer account in order to access Gallaudet technology resources, including email. Please visit this link for instructions.
- Stop by Human Resources (College Hall, Room 106) to obtain a benefits packet.
- Review important Gallaudet University resources such as the payroll schedule, holiday schedule, policies, etc. The information can be found here.
During your first week of work:
- Review your department's organizational structure. Be familiarized with your department. Your supervisor will ensure you learn about the departmental policies and procedures.
- Meet with the Benefits team to complete your paperwork. A checklist is included in the benefits packet. Some forms are due within 31 days/60 days.
- Learn about important events on campus. You can watch for new events through the Daily Digest.
- Identify ways to network and meet GU staff across campus.
- Familiarize yourself with the New Employee Handbook.
After one month:
- Meet with the Benefits team to ensure the completion of all your benefits forms.
- Ensure you meet with your supervisor to set performance and professional development goals.
- Review the Administration and Operations Manual. The manual is available here.
- Ensure your Title IX training is completed. If you need assistance, please send an email to email@example.com.
Within six months:
- Review performance objectives and progress.
- Discuss completed training and future training needs.
On behalf of the Human Resources Team, we welcome you to explore many tools and resources available on our website.
Lastly, welcome to Gallaudet University!
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.