Exploring and advancing the world’s linguistic, educational, and cultural forces
Start your journey to an impactful career in education, writing, linguistics and international development. The Gallaudet School of Language, Education and Culture develops students into world-changing leaders in their fields.
Preparing students for leadership
- Increasing the worldwide number of deaf and hard of hearing professionals in fields that aspire to solve global challenges
- Train to become a teacher of English, American Sign Language, Spanish and bilingual education.
- Specialize in international development, teaching, writing, interpreting, linguistics or multiple cultures and languages.
- Learn in a technology-rich environment.
- Join other deaf and hard-of-hearing students aspiring to excel in their fields and solve global challenges.
Immerse yourself in world languages and cultures
Gallaudet — the school that introduced American Sign Language to the world — offers a fully immersive bilingual environment, so you can study languages, education and culture simultaneously in English and ASL. At Gallaudet, you’ll also find opportunities for collaborative learning, research, internships and studying abroad in both languages. You can add Spanish or French to your studies to become multilingual.
For International and American deaf or hard of hearing students who need to strengthen their English skills for education, professional or personal purposes, Gallaudet’s English Language Institute offers the only officially credited English as a Second Language program for deaf students in the United States.