1.4 Using this Handbook
This handbook is designed to provide information to help students, faculty, and staff understand how the OSWD process works, and how to make the most effective use of OSWD when addressing with the needs of students with disabilities. The reader will also find guidelines for the delivery of accommodations and special services, as well as guidance for understanding the functions and role of OSWD pertaining to its operation and the delivery of special-need services for students with disabilities.
There are three main sections after these preliminaries:
- General information about OSWD and accommodation for students with disabilities that should be of interest to both students and faculty in Section 2;
- Information of interest primarily to students in Section 3; and
- Information primarily of interest to faculty and staff in Section 4.
- Briefly summarize federal laws pertaining to accommodation for students with disabilities; and
- Provide a guide for high-school educators to help their students with disabilities make the transition to post-secondary education.
This handbook should be used in conjunction with the OSWD section of the Gallaudet University website, where many forms, detailed procedures, and other specific and up-to-date information is available.