Reasonable Accommodation

Reasonable accommodation refers to academic resources and disability services provided to students with disabilities without undue hardship to the University. Faculty may be expected to provide alternative accommodations or special services so long as these are reasonable and achieve the desired student outcome.

Many types of accommodations are discussed in further detail in Section 2, "General Information", of this handbook. This section highlights accommodation information of special interest to students with disabilities.

Disclosing a Disability

OSWD students have the right to choose not to use accommodations and not to disclose their disabilities to the University's faculty or staff. However, it is the student's responsibility to request accommodations through OSWD in a timely manner, should s/he determine during the semester that disability support is needed.

Reporting Accessibility Barriers

OSWD students may encounter barriers, temporary or permanent, that limit their access to using classrooms, such as an automatic door not opening, a broken wheelchair lift, other architectural barriers, or poor-lighting concerns. A student who experiences difficulties on campus with accessibility should either complete the "Accessibility Repair Request Form" that can be found in the OSWD section of the Gallaudet website, or contact directly any of the departments below for assistance.

For challenges with architectural barriers, such as crosswalks that are not aligned with curb cuts, challenges with ramps, pathways, crosswalks, roadways, edges or crosswalk markings, doors that are too narrow for wheelchair access, or wheelchair lifts that are broken, email <> (Facilities Service Center) and send a Cc: to <> (OSWD director).

For problems accessing buildings such as opening doors, or with push plate issues such as buttons on the doors that do not work, email <> (Department of Safety and Security) and Cc: to <> (OSWD director).

For challenges accessing tables, chairs, or desks in a classroom, email the assigned OSWD counselor for assistance and Cc: to <>.

For accessibility challenges in the dormitory environment, email <> and <> with Cc: to <>.

OSWD will follow up on all student concerns, but we also encourage the student to meet with his or her OSWD counselor and follow up with the above departments with regard to accessibility requests. Gallaudet University is working diligently to increase accessibility for students with disabilities and welcome help from students on these issues.

Leaving the Classroom When Symptoms Occur

Some students with medical conditions may need to leave the class if problems due to their medical condition occur. It is recommended that students who have issues during class, email or contact their professor as soon as possible after the incident occurs and then work with the professor to make up any missed work. If this happens frequently, OSWD recommends that the professor talk with the student and also talk with OSWD to determine appropriate action.