To be eligible for academic training, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be in valid J-1 status and in good academic standing at the school named on the Form DS-2019.
- Academic training must be done with a specific employer/training site.
- The proposed employment must be directly related to the applicant's major field of study.
- Written approval must be obtained in advance for the duration and type of academic training.
- If post-completion academic training will be unpaid, proof adequate financial self-support and for J-2 dependents (if any) must be provided.
General limits which apply to all students:
- The duration of academic training may not exceed the length of the academic program; it is generally limited to 18 months.
- Part-time and full-time academic training are counted the same against the total time allowed.
- Academic training used before completion of the academic program is deducted from the total time available.
To receive AT approval, the following documents must be submitted:
- A copy of the offer of employment (academic training) indicating the title and description of the position being offered:
- Position title.
- Dates of employment.
- Complete Address of Academic Training (employment) location.
- Number of work hours per week.
- Salary if any.
- Duties to be performed.
- Completed Academic Training Recommendation/Request forms. The Academic Training Recommendation & Request Forms need to show the following information:
- The goals and objectives of the specific training program.
- A description of the training program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of training
- How the training relates to your major field of study and why it is an integral or critical part of your academic program.
- Verification of health insurance coverage mandated by the Exchange Visitor Program.
Click here to download the Academic Training application (PDF).
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.