Continuing and Online Education:

International students interested in coming to the United States for a short course of study, workshop, or other training event at Gallaudet University must obtain a *B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa. If, however, they are interested in attending Gallaudet to obtain a degree or certification, they must have F-1, J-1, or permanent residency status.

Please note that Gallaudet doesn’t make the policy or decision on these tuition rates. The Education of the Deaf Act (EDA) and ensuing regulations from the United States Department of Education require that international students attending Gallaudet University pay a tuition surcharge of either 100% or 50%, depending on their country of citizenship. For more information: EDA Developing Countries List for Academic Year 2020/2021 – Gallaudet University.

Proof of immigration status for each visa category is required, in order to verify the benefits that one may qualify for.

Visa Category Definition Gallaudet U.S. Charge Gallaudet International Charge
A-1 Diplomats and foreign government officials and their dependents No Yes
A-2 Dependents of A-1 visa holder No Yes
*B-1 Business visitors No Yes
*B-2 Visitors for pleasure No Yes
F-1 Students No Yes
F-2 Dependents of F-1 students No Yes
G-1 Employee of international organizations No Yes
G-2, G-3, G-4 Dependents of G-1 visa holder No Yes
H-1B Professionals No Yes
H-2B Temporary workers No Yes
H-3 Trainee No Yes
H-4 Dependents of H visa holders No Yes
I-1 Foreign journalists No Yes
J-1 (Student) Exchange visitor student No Yes
J-1 (Scholar) Exchange visitor scholars No Yes
J-2 Dependents of J-1 visa holders No Yes
K-1 Fiancée of U.S. citizen Yes No
O-1 Individual with extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics No Yes
P-1 Internationally known athletes and entertainment groups No Yes
P-2 Performing artists under a reciprocal exchange program No Yes
Q-1 International cultural No Yes
Green Card in Processing Individuals remain in the United States until the application is decided upon by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. No Yes
Green Card Foreign national to live and work permanently in the US. Yes No
U.S. Citizen Born in the territory of the United States. Yes No
Naturalization Granted by which a non-citizen of a country may acquire citizenship or nationality of that country. Yes No
DACA Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an immigration option for undocumented immigrants who came to the United States before the age of 16. No Yes
Undocumented Student Without immigtation status. No Yes
Asylum (Granted only) Granted only to people who are present in the US. Yes No
Asylum (Not granted or pending) Obtaining asylum in the US. No Yes
Jay Treaty Grants Native Americans or First Nations with at least 50% Native American blood, American citizens, and Canadian subjects the perpetual right to freely travel between the United States and Canada. (Proof of First Nations identification card to be requested) Yes No