April 15 is the deadline for filing taxes for the previous tax year (January 1 - December 31) with the federal government, the District of Columbia, and most states, including Maryland and Virginia.

All students are required to file Form 8843, even if they did not earn any income in the U.S. last year. This requirement applies to any person with an F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 visa.

The Office of International Affairs (IA) strongly encourages students to attend the free annual tax service offered by the University. This service is open to international students as well as American citizen students.

Please stop by ELY 202D for tax help from accounting experts:

You must bring the following documents to the tax service:

  • Passport· I-94 card
  • Form I-20 (for F-1 or F-2) or Form DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2)
  • Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  • Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters you may have received from your institution or sponsor· W-2 Forms
  • Copies of your 1040NR(EZ) filed for tax year 2015
  • Interest from the bank in 2015 (if any)
  • Form 1099MISC

Please note that IA staff members cannot give advice about taxes.