Welcome to Gallaudet University, and greetings from the Office of International Affairs (IA)! IA is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to operate several programs that recruit individuals from around the world for educational purposes. Regardless of your goals, Gallaudet has a program in place that will provide you the tools you need to succeed.

Degree-seeking scholars

Deaf and hard of hearing undergraduate students can choose from a wide variety of majors leading to a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree. Undergraduate students have the option of designing their own majors, called "self-directed majors," in which they select classes from a variety of departments at Gallaudet. All students may take courses offered at 13 other institutions of higher learning that are members of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area. Graduate programs, open to deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students, include master of arts or master of science degrees, specialist degrees, certificates, and doctoral degrees in a variety of fields involving professional services to deaf and hard of hearing people.

Non-degree seeking scholars

The International Special Student Program (ISSP) is a tremendous learning experience designed for non-U.S. students who are not pursuing an academic degree at Gallaudet University. The one- or two-semester program is customized to meet the needs of each scholar.

The International Visiting Scholar (IVS) was established to accommodate a limited number of professors, researchers, and other scholars who wish to use the facilities at Gallaudet University each academic year.

If you are looking to establish a solid foundation in English, the University's English Language Institute (ELI) provides an intensive English as a Second Language program for American and international deaf and hard of hearing students. Bilingual instruction in both American Sign Language and written English provides a multicultural environment for ELI students to achieve academic, professional, and personal language goals.

Gallaudet's admissions requirements for English and American Sign Language (ASL)

Due to Gallaudet University's unique nature, every member of the campus community is encouraged to reach his or her potential in being bilingual in the visual modalities of ASL and written English. The University strives to accomplish this goal by creating a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive environment that fosters visual bilingual communication.

Because the vast majority of students at Gallaudet University rely on visual communication, the intent behind these guidelines is to help ensure that applicants can participate in effective and meaningful communication that promotes their success at the time they are admitted, and that they will avail themselves of University resources to reach proficiency in ASL and written English. Applicants to programs at Gallaudet are expected to embrace the use of written English and ASL, and to strive to continually improve their skill in the two languages.

Applicant's English language skills

Gallaudet will determine the skill level in English that it feels is appropriate to help ensure an applicant's academic success at the University. For undergraduates, these standards comply with ACT, and for graduates, they comply with the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). TOEFL will accommodate deaf and hard of hearing students, such as waiving the spoken part of the test and having a sign language interpreter explain the instructions. Students must request the accommodations themselves. Go to the link for more information. If an applicant has difficulty in taking either of these tests, an alternative test may be acceptable, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), although any alternative must be approved by Gallaudet. The applicant should arrange to have the English test results provided to Gallaudet by the application deadline. If the applicant has difficulty in taking either of these tests, an alternative test may be acceptable, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), although any alternative must be approved by Gallaudet. The applicant should arrange to have the English test results provided to Gallaudet by the application deadline.

Applicant's American Sign Language skills

At the graduate level, applicants who seek to become special (non-degree) students are required to possess "working knowledge" of ASL, as interpreted by each department within the Graduate School and specified in the 2014-2015 University Catalog. Graduate applicants are referred for ASL skills evaluation that is based on their proposed area of study. If the applicant has prior sign language skills and has been evaluated after taking the American Sign Language Proficiency Interview test, the student must provide the results of the test; if not, department administrators will interview the applicant to determine his/her readiness to study at Gallaudet without classroom communication support.

Financial Resources:

Gallaudet Scholarships

Please click on the link below to view the list of scholarships.

Non-Gallaudet Scholarships for International Students

Canadian Students Only

StudentAid BC - British Columbia, Canada
Contact Person: Theresa Cownden
Email: theresa.cownden@gov.bc.ca
Website: StudentAid BC

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) - Ontario, Canada
Contact Person: Sherry Britton (TCU)
Email: Sherry.Britton@ontario.ca
Website: Ontario Student Assistance Program
How to apply to OSAP

Note: For questions related to OSAP procedures and application forms, please contact:

Student Financial Assistance Branch, Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
PO Box 4500 
189 Red River Road, 4th Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
Or call from  8:30 a.m - 4:30 p.m. (EST), Monday through Friday, at (807) 343-7260 or toll-free in North America: 1-877-OSAP-411 (1-877-672-7411).

Alternatively, the General Support Service (GSS) at the Canadian Hearing Society ( http://chs.ca/services/general-support-services) is available to support you with OSAP procedures and application forms. Go to the website to find the closest location to your home, then contact that regional office to access the GSS counselors for assistance with OSAP procedures and application forms.

Note: This information is provided as a guide only and is not considered a contract or binding by the University. We hope you will soon join our proud and strong community.

Best of luck!

You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.