Welcome back to Gallaudet University and greetings from International Affairs! Below you will find information for your contact person who will assist you with the application process for readmission to Gallaudet University.

Undergraduate Readmission Information

Your contact person: Elice Patterson, Registrar
Email:  elice.patterson@gallaudet.edu

International Transfer Information

Your contact person: Laura Willey-Saunders, Transfer/Articulation Coordinator
Email:  laura.willey-saunders@gallaudet.edu
Website: Transfer Credits

Please read through and follow the steps for readmission below. Included are instructions on how to complete your application and forms. It is important that you read all the directions carefully.

Step One: Application and Readmission

To apply for Gallaudet as an undergraduate readmitted student, read this information from the Registrar's Office.

Step Two: Certification of Finances Form

Upon acceptance to Gallaudet University as a readmitted international student, you are required to complete:

The purpose of the Certification of Finances Form is to help Gallaudet University obtain complete and accurate information about the funds available to readmitted international students who want to study in the United States.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require that all international applicants or readmitted international students provide evidence of adequate financial support before they may obtain an I-20 Form (Step Three). You are required to submit both the complete Certification of Finances Form and original, official financial document(s) that show you have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses. If your Certificate of Finances Form is not completed or received, you will not receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form for F1).

Step Three: Form I-20

Once your Certification of Finances Form is completed and approved, then International Student Services will send you an I-20, which will be needed for you to obtain a visa.

A Form I-20 is an immigration document form that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies that:

  1. You are or expect to be a "bona fide" student.
  2. You meet the admissions requirements.
  3. You will pursue a full course of study.
  4. You must prove us that you have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

Some international students do not need I-20 Forms. J-1 students need Form DS-2019 and should contact the Global Education and Scholar Services office. B Visitors and F-2 dependents must obtain an I-20 Form and apply for a change of status to F-1 student to pursue a course of study that is not vocational or recreational in nature.

If you are of other non-immigrant status in the U.S., you don't need an I-20 Form. Send photocopies of your current visa, passport, both sides of I-94, and your immigration status with your readmission application. Dependent children in E, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R or S status need to change status after their 21st birthday or if they marry. If you are a permanent resident, refugee or person with political asylum status, send copies of your immigration documents with your readmission application.

If you are transferring from a U.S. college or university, send photocopies of your current visa, passport, both sides of I-94, and the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (F-1) status with your readmission application.

Step Four: SEVIS FEE

You are required to pay $200 for your SEVIS fee.

Effective September 1, 2004, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a one-time fee of $200 from certain international students and visiting scholars. The fee is required to cover operational costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Students or exchange visitors who are issued an initial Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 are responsible for paying this fee before going to their Embassy or Consulate.

Step Five: Student Visa

After receiving your readmission letter from Gallaudet, you must apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for the student visa. You will be responsible for making an appointment with a consulate at an Embassy nearest your place of residence after receiving the I-20 with the SEVIS so you can receive the F-1 student visa. The F-1 visa is the most common visa used by international students to study at an accredited U.S. college, university, or English language institute. Students on F-1 visas come to the United States for a full degree program.

It is important to remember that acceptance to Gallaudet University does not guarantee issuance of the student visa. The U.S. Consulate abroad will have the final decision to grant or deny the student visa. When meeting with a U.S. consulate aboard, you will be expected to present the Form I-20 with your SEVIS Fee receipt, your Gallaudet letter of acceptance and proof of financial support.

Canadian students: A Canadian citizen does not need a visa for entering the United States as a student. At the border-crossing point, you will have to present your passport, the SEVIS Form I-20, your SEVIS receipt, your readmission letter from Gallaudet University, and financial support documents to the U.S. Immigration Officer.

Please note that if you have a valid student visa and have left school before, please check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country before you depart for the U.S. For more information regarding validity of student visas subsequent to a break in studies: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html immigration direct.

Please note that this information is provided as a guide only and is not considered a binding contract by the University. We hope you will soon join our proud and strong community again. Best of luck!

You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.