A world-class institute of changemakers in the deaf and signing community.
Since 1864, we have been investing in and creating resources for deaf and hard of hearing children, their families, and the professionals who work with them.
Over 50 degree programs, with online and continuing education for personal and professional development.
Innovating solutions to break down barriers, and using science to prove what does and doesn’t work.
We make it easy for you to apply and enter here.
Ready to take the next step toward a college education?
Make lasting memories and grow in ways you never thought possible.
Charles Reilly, Ph.D.Executive Director
(202) 250-2294 (videophone)(202) 651-5150 (voice)(800) 451-8834 (voice)(202) 651-5746 (fax)Email
The International Visiting Researcher Program (IVRP) at Gallaudet University was established to accommodate a limited number of professors, researchers, and other scholars who wish to use the facilities at Gallaudet University each academic year. Gallaudet is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to operate the IVRP program. The Office of Research Support and International Affairs works closely with academic departments and faculty members to extend its resources on a selective basis in the spirit of institutional collegiality, fostering knowledge, and the exchange of information.
Note: IVRP applications for Fall semesters are due April 1. IVRP Applications for the Spring semester are due October 1.
IVRP Application Form
Participants in the IVRP should be one of the following:
A request for participation in the IVRP must meet at least one of the following requirements:
In addition, all IVRPs must be sponsored by a faculty member at Gallaudet University or by the Office of Research Support and International Affairs.
The selection of visiting scholars is based on both an applicant's purpose, demonstrated record of research accomplishment, and the merit of his or her proposed project.
Consideration in the selection process will be given to the following:
The period of stay for IVRPs at Gallaudet University is from three weeks to one year.
All IVRPs will be required to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. Applicants with B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, and J-2 visas may not be eligible.
Please note that a tourist visa (B1/B2/WB/WT) status may be, at first glance, thought of as appropriate; however, if the University benefits from the visit, if equipment and facilities used are owned or operated by the University, if the visitor is involved in a formally structured program if the visit, and/or if the research undertaken might result in published work, patent, or discovery, the use of B1/B2/WB/WT visas will contradict U.S. Department of State guidelines. In such cases, only the J-1 visa would be deemed appropriate.
Participating in the IVRP requires one to provide sufficient financial support documents that cover the minimum amount time that will be spent in the program, including fees and living expenses. Per Exchange Visitor regulations, at least 51% of the funding support documents must come from a scholarship, fellowship, or a grant/award from the student's home university, a government or nongovernment agency or other organization. The rest (49%) can come from personal or family funds. Please be advised that visiting researchers must pay their own interpreting fees. Also, the University will charge an admission/application fee of $200 beginning in 2015.
All financial documents provided must be in English or translated into English. (See the application form for a guide.)
You will need Adobe Reader to view these PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat reader is free software that can be downloaded from the Adobe Reader website.
Gallaudet University is a federally chartered private and premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing since 1864.
Copyright © 2021 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE Washington, D.C. 20002
Spring 2021 – Dec 12Fall 2021 – May 15