1. How can I pay my son or daughter's tuition bill?
    You can pay online via your child's Bison Account, or in person at the Cashiers Office located in College Hall B04.
  2. How can I reach my son/daughter in case of emergency?
    Contact the Department of Public Safety.
  3. I would like to reserve a hotel near Gallaudet. Where can I find the information? 
    Gallaudet has an on-campus hotel, the Kellogg Conference Center, and there are many lodging accommodations near campus; please refer to the Hotels link.
  4. What will the Family Orientation Program cover? Is there a cost?
    There is no charge; the program is FREE. The Family Orientation Program will provide information for parents on various academic programs and other services.
  5. What is Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)?
    Many deaf and hard of hearing Gallaudet students receive funding from their state VR agencies. Please check the Vocational Rehabilitation page for more information.
  6. What is FERPA?
    Please check the FERPA page for more information.


  1. How will my son/daughter manage classes at Gallaudet if he/she is a new signer?
    We provide extensive support to deaf and hard of hearing students who are new to American Sign Language. Most students say that learning ASL helps them communicate much better and understand more of what is taught in class.
    We offer a summer immersion program for students before their first semester, as well as interpreting and other communication access services throughout their time at Gallaudet.
  2. What should we do if our son/daughter's exams conflict with the holidays/family events? 
    Students should check the final examination schedule online before they purchase flight tickets. If there is a conflict, they will need to discuss with their instructors to see if they can make up the exam. The decision is made at the instructor's decision/discretion.
  3. How can I get information on my child's academics/grades?
    Grade reports are available to the student only. If you wish to review the grade report, ask your child to obtain a consent form that will require both of you to sign it. The signed form will be kept in the student's files. FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) does not allow us to share academic related issues with parents without the child's consent. 


  1. I have some questions about on-campus and off-campus housing.
    Please refer to the detailed Housing FAQ page.


  1. Does my son/daughter need specific vaccinations?
    Yes, please refer to the immunization requirements before your son or daughter arrives at Gallaudet.
  2. What kind of services are provided at the Student Health Service?
    We provide basic internal medicine and referral services. The Student Health Service is not the primary health provider for students.
  3. What are the fees for Health Center services?
    The student health service fee is $50 per semester and covers an unlimited number of office visits. There is also a small fee for vaccinations and other services.
  4. Does the Health Center accept my family's insurance plan?
    It depends on the scope of coverage. Student Financial Services oversees the insurance waiver/coverages.
  5. Does the university require that students carry health insurance?
    Yes, the university requires that students are covered by their health insurance plan; please see Student Financial Services for more information.
  6. What happens to students in case of an emergency?
    It depends on the nature and scope of the situation. The campus Department of Public Safety is typically the first responder to campus emergencies. An ambulance or other responders may also be called.

Safety and Transportation

  1. Is there a safe alternative to walking alone on campus during late nights or early mornings?
    The Department of Public Safety has an escort service, and will send an officer to escort students to where they need to go on campus.
  2. How does my student get around if he/she does not have a car?
    There are many different ways of getting around the Washington, D.C., area. Gallaudet University provides shuttle bus services to the nearest Metro stations, and there is a public bus stop at the front of Gallaudet University. From campus, students can use Capital Bikeshare, ZipCar or easily walk to the trendy H Street and Atlas District areas.