Explosions, Aircraft Crashes, or Similar Incidents
In the event of an explosion, downed aircraft (crash) on campus or similar incident, take the following action:
- Immediately take cover under a desk, table or other object that will protect you from falling objects and flying debris.
- After the initial explosion, call x5555 (Voice/Videophone), x5444 (TTY), use the DPS pager address: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 911 to report the incident only if your area is unaffected by the explosion at that time.
- Evacuate the building IMMEDIATELY. Do not use elevators.
- Do not move seriously injured people, unless they are in immediate danger (fire, building collapse, etc.) and the risks to you appear minimal.
- Stay clear of the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency response vehicles.
- Do not return to the building or attempt to search for other people.
- All people should go to the Primary Emergency Site or the Secondary Evacuation Site if the Primary Evacuation Site is the building affected.
- If you are trapped in a falling building:
- Use a flashlight.
- Stay in your area so you don't kick up dust.
- Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or cloth.
- Tap on a pipe or wall so that rescuers can hear where you are.
- Use a whistle if you have one.
- Only shout if cannot make noise another way. (Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.)