Tornado: Safety Procedures
During a tornado warning, stay calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below:
- If indoors, disconnect electrical equipment and appliances. Seek shelter in the lowest level of the building. Take a flashlight with you if you have one handy. Interior hallways or rooms are preferable, away from windows. Auditoriums, cafeterias, and gymnasiums that are covered with a flat wide-span roof are not considered safe and are not recommended as shelter locations. The primary evacuation site in a tornado for both the University and the Clerc Center is the Kellogg Conference Hotel.
- If outdoors, take cover in the nearest ditch or depression, away from power lines, buildings or trees. If you are in a car, do not stay in the car or attempt to outrun the tornado. Pull over and take cover in the nearest ditch or depression away from power lines, buildings or trees.
- After the tornado has passed, evaluate the situation and if emergency help is necessary, contact the Department of Public Safety at (202) 651-5555 (voice or text), (202) 651-5444 (TTY) page: email@example.com or call 911. Be aware at all times of the dangerous structural conditions around you. Gas leaks and power lines create additional hazards.
- If inside a building, evacuate it using the emergency exits. Move away to a clear or predetermined assembly point. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless permitted to do so by MPD, D.C. Fire Department personnel, or DPS.